Old 10-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
zee
Casting On

kristin omdahl shawl
I do not understand how to move forward on this pattern. Can anyone help me? The pattern starts with a motif and has several motifs that are all joined together. Here is the pattern and I will post my question at the end.
Motif 1
CO 12 sts.
Row 1. knit.
Row 2. *K1 wrapping the yarn 4 times around the needle, k1; rep from*.
Row 3. Sl all 12 sts to right-hand needle, dropping all extra loops, then sl these back to left-hand needle , then work (k1,yo,k1,yo,k1) in each st - 60 sts.
Row 4. Knit

Edging
Note: The remainder of the motif is worked perpendicular to row 4; the last st of every other row is knitted together with a live st from Row 4.

SET-UP-ROW

With waste yarn and WS facing, use a provisional method to CO 8sts, turn, knit 7, k2tog (1 edging st and 1st from Row 4 on motif).

HERE IS MY QUESTION.
Do I start the set up row with the same yarn that I already am knitting with? Or do I start with a new ball of working yarn and if so what happens to the yarn I was working with. I am quite confused and as I am a new knitter it is not obvious to me.

Any help is welcome. Thanks.
zee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
What are you making? Can you link to the pattern? Are you making the motifs to be sewn together later? Are these notes that accompany the pattern itself?

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!
Kristen Omdahl always does the most interesting patterns. I'm looking forward to seeing the pattern link or a photo, if possible, as GG requested.
The set up row for the edging starts with the provisional cast on with waste yarn (a contrasting color is good). When you then turn to "knit 7, k2tog (1 edging st and 1st from Row 4 on motif)" you should use a new end of your main color yarn, not the same end that you've been knitting with. You can cut the yarn that you were using leaving about a 6inch tail to weave in later. You'll be continueing to knit with the new strand as you knit the edging and attach the edging to the live sts from from row 4.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
zee
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Welcome to Knitting Help!
Kristen Omdahl always does the most interesting patterns. I'm looking forward to seeing the pattern link or a photo, if possible, as GG requested.
The set up row for the edging starts with the provisional cast on with waste yarn (a contrasting color is good). When you then turn to "knit 7, k2tog (1 edging st and 1st from Row 4 on motif)" you should use a new end of your main color yarn, not the same end that you've been knitting with. You can cut the yarn that you were using leaving about a 6inch tail to weave in later. You'll be continueing to knit with the new strand as you knit the edging and attach the edging to the live sts from from row 4.
These are my questions.

Do I do the provisional cast onto the same needle that my sts are on at the moment. Once I have done the CO there will be two colour yarn on my needle. Do I remove the waste yarn before turn and knitting?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
zee
Casting On

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
What are you making? Can you link to the pattern? Are you making the motifs to be sewn together later? Are these notes that accompany the pattern itself?
I am making a shawl and it is in a book by Kirsten Omdahl. The pattern is called Lelani. the motifs are not sew together.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

You can do the provisional cast on onto the same needle. If you do that, then you would have the RS of the work facing you. Knit across the cast on and at the last stitch, k2tog (one prov. cast on stitch and one stitch from row 4). Leave the provisional cast on in place. When you finish the edging, there will be directions for what to do with the provisional cast on. You can read ahead and see what these are. Usually you pull out the spare yarn and put the live sts on a needle.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
zee
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
You can do the provisional cast on onto the same needle. If you do that, then you would have the RS of the work facing you. Knit across the cast on and at the last stitch, k2tog (one prov. cast on stitch and one stitch from row 4). Leave the provisional cast on in place. When you finish the edging, there will be directions for what to do with the provisional cast on. You can read ahead and see what these are. Usually you pull out the spare yarn and put the live sts on a needle.
HI there,

Ok i have been able to move forward. Now the pattern says
Row 10: BO 10sts (1 st on right-hand needle)

Is this a standard bind off? What does the instruction in the bracket mean? Do I slip the first stitch to the right hand needl?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Sounds like use the standard bind off. When you do that you'll end with one stitch on the right hand needle which is usually the case. Kristen must have something in mind for that last stitch.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
zee
Casting On

Row 10: BO 10sts (1 st on right-hand needle), k1, [yo, k2tog] 2 times, k1 - 7 sts rem.

I have 17sts at the moment
Old 10-16-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
salmonmac
Mod Squad

OK, that all looks right. Bind off 10 and you'll have 7sts on the needle. Which KO shawl is this?