Old 09-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
debminerva
1st Leg of the Journey

Crochet Magazines?
I am thinking about subscribing to a crochet magazine. Since I'm a relative newbie to crochet and just learning, does anyone have any suggestions for a good magazine for someone like me?

My blogs: The Original Grumpbump and The Daily Delilah

I'm on Ravelry as: debminerva

debminerva is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

There are soooo many crochet magazines. Alas. And IMHO they are usually soooo much alike.

But! This year, a new one entered the fray. Although it's frankly aimed at young women (phrases like "this is not your [grand]mother's crochet" tipped me off )--and I've had my 29th birthday a...few...times , I like

--its happy attitude,
--its embrace of crochet as a fully expressive art form in its own right and not an inferior, imitative craft,
--the variety of designs and designers presented.

It comes out monthly, but looking for it at retail shops in the United States is an exercise in frustration. From March, when I first fell across a copy of the February issue at Barnes & Noble, until May, when my subscription became effective, I went NUTS looking for the "current" issue at either Joann's or B&N--the only two retail chains where it's sold in the U.S. Bleah.

To check out what I'm saying, run do not walk to Simply Crochet, published out of the U.K. It took me all of maybe two or three days to get the "translation" from U.K. crochet terms to American terms nailed down, and now it's just not a concern.

I hope you like it as much as I do! (And I left college...ah...quite a while back!)
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DogCatMom For This Useful Post:
fatoldladyinpjs (09-29-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
I subscribe to 4 different crochet mags on my Nook. I love the low monthly subscription fee on the Nook.

Crochet! magazine usually has a good set of fashion patterns - clothing for women, and sometimes men. Intermediate level patterns.

Crochet World magazine leans more toward things for the home (blankets, kitchen cloths), kids and babies (clothes, toys), and other small, fun projects. There are also some adult fashions in there occasionally. In my opinion, their patterns are easy/intermediate.

Crochet Today is kind of a mix of the two above. You never know what will come next each month. A good variety of projects and skill levels.

Interweave Crochet has ladies and mens fashions. The patterns are intermediate/advanced. The designs are quite involved - I've never tried any of them before.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote