Old 09-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
Jemm
Ribbing the Cuff

Quote:
The humble sock toe up photo confused me, as the heel flap is typically not worked beneath the heel turn, but above it.
That part was confusing to me as well. When you look at the fo's that flap part of the socks look to me like they wrap around the heel. The miniature might be too small to reflect how the flap truly functions if I'm not mistaken. And I can only guess as to the function of the top part of the flap for shaping since I'm not all that familiar with sock construction. I think some people felt the flap might have been too long, not sure.

The one I posted is a popular pattern but lacks the video like Liat's so GG has a few options. I'm curious as well to see how it'll turn out. Just another reason to push my sock knitting back!

Last edited by Jemm : 09-26-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Jemm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jemm For This Useful Post:
Woofens (10-21-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Jemm View Post
That part was confusing to me as well. When you look at the fo's that flap part of the socks look to me like they wrap around the heel. The miniature might be too small to reflect how the flap truly functions if I'm not mistaken. And I can only guess as to the function of the top part of the flap for shaping since I'm not all that familiar with sock construction. I think some people felt the flap might have been too long, not sure.

The one I posted is a popular pattern but lacks the video like Giat's so GG has a few options. I'm curious as well to see how it'll turn out. Just another reason to push my sock knitting back!
After pondering on that picture and this thread while working this afternoon on the shawl I'm making...

About this thread:

I encourage you to find a basic sock pattern and give it a go. GG's Lifestyle Sock is a great one to start with.

I'm far from the most skilled knitter in the world, but to learn the basic skills needed to knit a variety of projects, knitting one plain stockinette pair of socks top down with a heel flap and gusset, with a double decrease toe probably gives you the biggest knitting techniques bang for your buck, so to speak.

After watching this I felt confident enough that I really could do it that I cast on immediately. This is the link to the tutorial. Its on 2 pages with the first lesson on the 2nd page. Unfortunately when KnitPicks changed their site the tutorial was reversed. GRRRR! Still worth watching, though.

About the picture:
There are multiple ways of making sock heels and that I can't quite identify a type of heel from the picture or the instructions bothers me a bit.

Like you, I look forward to seeing what GG chooses to add to her growing list of projects when it's completed.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
Jemm
Ribbing the Cuff

Charlotte this comment might interest you -- one user had this to say about Liat's pattern:

Quote:
Decided this is more of the Basic Toe-up Socks with a Faux Heel Flap pattern with the Syncopation Socks stitch.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/vyep...ng-weight-yarn

I've been interested in socks since the day I'd started knitting which is not a long time at all, but always researching this particular area - less time now since the holidays are around the corner.

The lovely superstar that taught me how to knit was Staci from Very Pink - her patterns aren't free but her videos are all there. No idea about toe up heel flaps with her, but I'll have to investigate further one of these days. She does prefer the toe up method since there is less yarn waste and for a variety of other reasons I can't recall.

Cheers!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,264 Times in 2,756 Posts
To One and All
Thank you for all links and comments. I can't devote the time they deserve right now but I will read them all carefully and let you know what I end up doing...even if it's sticking with short row heels. At this moment I'm ordering a new phone that will have hotspot and I can have internet at home again and not have to camp out at the library.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #15
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Jemm - thanks for the comment. I'll have to find out what the commenter is referring to. I love looking up all things knitting online!

I know what you mean about being fascinated by socks, they grabbed my attention early on. Sock fascination plus the holiday season. . . Oy! It's enough to make me wish for the holidays to be over already. LOL

Please don't think that I don't like or recommend the toe up method. I adore it, and it's my preferred method for knitting socks as I don't personally care for Kitchener stitching the toes. YMMV where knitting is concerned.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
Old 09-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #16
Jemm
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
Please don't think that I don't like or recommend the toe up method. I adore it, and it's my preferred method for knitting socks as I don't personally care for Kitchener stitching the toes. YMMV where knitting is concerned.
Wasn't thinking that at all Charlotte, no worries. I'm probably going to attempt the Top-down version of Humble Sock (the link I posted right below toe-up with flap), that is if by the time I'm ready I don't grab another reference. Ann Budd's book has been recommended, but I'm not sure that I need to make that purchase yet. I'll take a look at your link above as well.

I absolutely adore Staci -- purchasing an $8 pattern and going along with her video to learn would be nothing for me, and she teaches both ways with magic loop or dpns. That woman deserves it! I have no idea if she does the flap for toe-up socks, the only reason why I mentioned it was for GG. I'm fine with starting with the top down method since I haven't started making socks yet. Once you get in the habit of doing it one way it's hard to break out of it. I can see why it might be GG's preferred method since she's been doing it for a while -- no pattern? oy lol!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jemm For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (09-27-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by ruvo44 View Post
http://knitfreedom.com/wp-content/up...ering-v2.5.pdf

See if this works.
Yes, it works! Thank you!

Originally Posted by Jemm View Post
You're so welcome! Glad I could help, I'd love to know how they turn out.

Socks without a pattern?
I'm speechless

With the holidays coming up I don't know when I can start them, but xmas stockings are pretty close to making socks, right?

Thanks so much for the toe-up socks link and for offering to help. Knitters are passionate about their hobby aren't they?
I'm with Charlotte and prefer to skip the Kitchener for the toes. When I decided to knit socks the first time I was looking for a pattern/tutorial that would demystify things a bit and then realized that I had all I needed from the various tutorials and didn't need to buy a book or a pattern. I got some worsted weight yarn that was lying around not being used for anything and cast on. By the time I was done, I knew how to knit socks. It's not that I'm a great knitter (I'm not!) but find it easier to work with guidelines than an actual pattern. The exception will be Skew Socks or Exotic Whirlpool Socks because the fascinate me. The gauge thing scares me as fitting socks to my feet is something of a challenge.

Are knitters passionate about knitting? Maybe. I think the attached explains me.

I have about a mile of 2x2 rib before I can really concentrate on the heel thing. All this input is great and just as soon as I can devote the attention all this great help deserves, you know what I'll be doing!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brain works.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	57066  

Old 10-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #18
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Decision time
Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
GG,

Heel flaps add padding and reinforcement over the Achilles tendon where shoes tend to rub. They also tend to be more comfortable for people with high insteps because of the gusset stitches that are picked up along the heel flap, that are decreased back down.

Liat Gat's free Ravelry pattern for toe up with flap and gusset is the first link below. The second is a tutorial you can watch/review before deciding to work one if you like.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...ng-weight-yarn

http://bloomingknitter.wordpress.com...ap-and-gusset/

The humble sock toe up photo confused me, as the heel flap is typically not worked beneath the heel turn, but above it.

HTH. . . And have fun investigating!
I'm not sure why the Humble Sock pattern has the heel flap worked as it is. I want more thickness at the back of my heel. My heels are narrow and any additional padding will help my shoes not slip so much. Therefore (drum roll, please) the method used in Liat Gat's video and pattern for a faux heel flap wins! This method isn't exclusive with Knit Freedom by any means but her pattern and video seem easier to understand than others I read/viewed. Why couldn't any of the others just say increase 22 - 26 sts (see Section 3: Gusset). I can tuck this info into my brain, take my socks with me when I go somewhere and start the increases after a few more rounds, then refer the pattern or video again. Thanks for all the help! Sifting through these things is challenging for me.

I've made 3 pairs of socks from Felici sport yarn and none of them for me. My son says his are the most comfortable socks he's ever had. My daughter is cautious about ruining her hand knit socks. I think my sister has worn hers but I'm not sure. I intend to wear hand knit socks almost exclusively so I have a lot of socks to knit. Hence my quest for my favorite heel.

To anyone considering socks for the first time: Go for it! They aren't really hard, and the sense of accomplishment is great. A pair made from worsted weight yarn to wear at home on a rainy day is a great start. Mine even make good thick socks to fill in space with my my boots that are a bit big. One warning: Knitting socks is addictive.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (10-21-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

I frogged my socks. I decided that I just wasn't happy with the uneven stitches. Knitting while stressed can do that it seems. So...while I'm redoing them, I've been looking around the web some more and found Formula Toe Up Socks For All Sizes which has charts and calculations and all kinds of scientific/mathematical looking formulae and stuff that is just way beyond me tonight. I'll print it out and before the gusset increases see if I can put it too use. I did notice that it tells how to decide whether you need a high instep adjustment. I also found Beginner Worsted-Weight Socks for Magic Loop, Toe-Up or Top-Down and when I went to copy my link I saw someone had already found it. To Said Someone: You're welcome! You do realize you're encouraging me to be obnoxious about socks.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
I frogged my socks. I decided that I just wasn't happy with the uneven stitches. Knitting while stressed can do that it seems.
I'm so sorry to hear that, especially as you've been planning, investigating, and looking forward to making them for awhile now.

Quote:
So...while I'm redoing them, I've been looking around the web some more and found Formula Toe Up Socks For All Sizes which has charts and calculations and all kinds of scientific/mathematical looking formulae and stuff that is just way beyond me tonight. I'll print it out and before the gusset increases see if I can put it too use. I did notice that it tells how to decide whether you need a high instep adjustment.
Oh no, the dread late night math wall! I just looked at it, and realized that I'm still entirely too decaffeinated to think in numbers now.

Do I remember correctly that you have high insteps? I may have run squarely into my memory wall with that one.

Quote:
You do realize you're encouraging me to be obnoxious about socks.
Never!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
- Elizabeth Zimmermann