Old 11-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Caters
Ribbing the Cuff

Baby stuff
I am wanting to knit baby gloves,mitts,socks,sweaters,pants,booties,...etc with worsted weight yarn and DK and possibly even fine or super fine. The only problem is that even though I have a lot of worsted I might not have enough and I don't have much DK. I was thinking of making DK weight yarn from leftover worsted weight yarn by taking 3 plies and seperating then from the fourth ply and basically having groups of 3 plies. Is there any way I can join those groups together if it is acrylic I am using because if I try to do a knot join it doesn't even make the knot.
Caters is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caters For This Useful Post:
lialtSole (11-07-2013)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I wouldn't separate the plies. I think it would affect the integrity of the yarn and it might pull and tend to look messy. There are plenty of patterns for small amounts of yarn and you can combine them to make unique and colorful things.

Re: knots... I very rarely knot my yarn. I prefer to weave in the ends. Knots have tails that somehow always seem to poke through to the front.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (11-02-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Caters
Ribbing the Cuff

Too little DK
I am trying to form DK from worsted by seperating groups of 3 plies AKA groups of 3 plies and I want to form DK from it because I don't want to spend my $100 on DK weight yarn. I was wondering how I would form DK from worsted.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,981 Posts
I agree with Jan, too, that this is a messy job. You can of course, try to separate the plies in the yarn but you may not end up with a usable ball of yarn. You may de-stabilize the twist in the yarn so that when you knit with the remaining group of plies, the fabric will bias and go askew.
You could try it out with a small amount of yarn and knit a swatch so that you can judge for yourself.
justplaincharlotte (11-02-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,003 Times in 2,516 Posts
If you try this will you please let us know how it works for you? I think it would be a lot of work and trying to keep things from just being a tangled mess would be difficult. Maybe you could just use it as the worsted weight it is. Baby things don't take much yarn and you could as Jan said do some really creative mixing and matching.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I understand your motive and reasoning, but I think it would affect the twist if the yarn possibly making it skew or pill.

You can often use a worsted weight yarn with DK patterns. It will just be a little larger. I often use worsted and just make a mallet size.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 11-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Caters
Ribbing the Cuff

I don't want to use a different yarn weight than it asks
I don't want to use worsted when the pattern calls for DK because then I will just have winter things and newborn things even if the pattern is supposed to be for a summer thing. You know how worsted at any time of year warms you up no matter whether it is cotton or not? well I don't have enough DK to do a baby sweater with and it would be nice if there was some way of joining together leftover strands of acrylic yarn which is what I am using.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Caters
Ribbing the Cuff

and some baby things like blankets do take a lot of yarn. For example when I was knitting the XOXO blanket: http://petitepurls.com/Spring10/spring2010_pxoxo.html I needed to use 3 skeins of similar but different light blues.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

I guess you'll just have to try it then. Are these for a specific person or are you donating them?

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 11-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
Caters
Ribbing the Cuff

I am saving these baby things I am knitting for when I have babies of my own. Besides most knitting patterns tell not to sell the pattern or anything made from the pattern.

Last edited by Caters : 11-02-2013 at 09:11 PM.