Old 11-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
RealMenKnit
Casting On

Seaming Question
I am up to the part of my sweater pattern where I seam the pieces together. The pattern says "Sew side pieces to front and back pieces using mattress stitch and single-stitch seam allowance so that the seams are expressed (visible)." What does single stitch seam allowance mean? Does that mean I skip the first stitch on each piece i am seaming together? I'm not sure what it means and I can't find an answer anywhere on-line. Can anyone help? The pattern is the Redford sweater from Brooklyn Tweed. Thanks!
RealMenKnit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/redford

Looking at the picture on Ravelry, I have to wonder if you're instructed to sew the seam on the inside. To me it looks like it is stitched on the edge stitch but done on the inside.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
RealMenKnit
Casting On

Maybe - it doesn't specify in the directions. There is a selvedge stitch on the edges that is supposed to be exposed on the right side of the work. Here are the entire directions:

Sew Side pieces (with the reverse stockinette stitch side facing out)
to Front and Back pieces (with stockinette stitch side facing out) using mattress stitch and single-stitch seam allowance so that the seams are expressed (visible) on the RS of garment.

Sew shoulder seams. Sew sleeve seams using mattress stitch or backstitch and a single-stitch seam allowance. Set sleeves into armholes in the same manner.
RealMenKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
Mattress stitch is typically done on the RS of the work and doesn't show much if at all. On the inside it produces a seam.

I would try this on the WS and I think that you're right that you should do it in the 2nd st from the edge.

Try it for a few inches and see how it looks on the outside. You can adjust what you're doing if it isn't working to your satisfaction. Mattress stitch is easy to remove if you need to start over.

Please let us know how this works for you. If you need more help, you know where to ask. I'd love to see a photo of your sweater.

Not to make unwarranted assumptions here...are you familiar with how to do mattress stitch?

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
Very good looking sweater with Brooklyn Tweed's typically interesting take on the design. Yes, skip the first st on the pieces you're seamin. Use mattress stitch one selvedge stitch in from the edge and unlike most seams, do this with the WS facing you. For the front and back, the purl side of the stockinette and the knit side of the side panel will be facing you as you seam. That way the seam will show to the RS.
Some close ups here http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Steven/redford