Old 11-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
TheVultureEye
Casting On

Hat too short
I knitted a hat for my mother intending to give it to her for Christmas, but with it finished I realized that it's too short, barely touching the tops of my ears. Is there a way to extend this that doesn't involve ripping the entire thing apart and starting over?
TheVultureEye is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,000 Times in 2,513 Posts
It would probably be easiest to redo it. Depending on the type of hat I guess you could pick up stitches around the bottom and knit down to make it longer.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
The best and easiest way in my opinion is to take out the bind off and knit it longer. It will look the best.

That said, the only other way I know of is taking out the cast on and that's a pain because it doesn't unravel like the the bind off. Each stitch has to be undone one at a time.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

I made a hat in a knitting class in 2011 for myself, just 2 months after learning to knit. I was SO HAPPY when I finally finished it--I wear something on my head every day, either a scarf or a hat, and this was a NEW HAT.

So...I'm getting dressed the morning after finishing the hat. I've gotten an outfit together that goes with the NEW HAT's color and all.

I put the hat on and...oh dear god. Even though I ripped it back when the traveling diagonals just weren't right and the DPNs were driving me crazy and knit the silly thing again from the CO on up using Traveling Loop, rather than use THREE sets of needles per the instructor's directions, it barely touched the tops of my ears.

I put on a different head covering and thought deep, dark thoughts about the knitting instructor, then re-counted the rows on the hat. They were exactly as they should have been.

I picked up stitches around the bottom of the hat and **crocheted** on a frill. The CO was 88 sts. This is what I did:

1) Pick up and crochet 88 sc around the base of the hat.

2) 2 dc in each sc; 176 sts total.

3) 1 hdc in each dc; 176 sts total.

The hat was in Cascade 100% wool "normal" weight; maybe a light worsted? The "frill" is in Koigu KPPPM and adds just short of 1 inch (2 cm) to the length of the hat. It's now quite wearable.
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote