Old 11-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #11
Woofens
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Woofens Send a message via MSN to Woofens Send a message via Yahoo to Woofens Send a message via Skype™ to Woofens
First, sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. Second, WOW! Thanks everyone for the tips and advice.

Monidew, any advice you can give me would be awesome. What do you know know you wish someone had told you in the very beginning of your GF life? I want to make this work, and do it as painlessly as possible for my family, and hopefully keep within our budget.

Thanks to all for the links, I'll be checking those put tomorrow. I'm also meeting with an "alternative nutritionist" my doctor recommended on Wednesday. Her website is here.

Thanks again to everyone. I appreciate it very much.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Woofens

The only difference between an experienced knitter and new knitter is that the experienced knitter makes bigger mistakes faster. Be bold; there are no terrible consequences in knitting.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

OTN:
Blocks in Blocks Afgan for Taz
Pet snuggles for charity
BonBons fingerless mitts for Sarah
Dorm socks for Skye-finished
Dallas Cowboys Man Hat for John-finished
and as always, dish cloths.
Woofens is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

sequestering your kitchen is essential if you are sharing your household with non-gluten free people. they will try to poison you at any given opportunity, no matter how much they love you. (sigh)

stick with simple basic foods. your body needs to heal and its doing so from a decided disadvantage. (you are in pain right now, something's wrong.). by simple and basic I mean:
whole beans (great protein, great fiber, no gluten - but no processed soy stuff, stick with things you recognize like black beans, or garbanzos);
non-gluten whole grains (great fiber, essential nutrients, no gluten - brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, my favorite is teff, a very nice dark whole grain I use to make wholemeal bread);
non-grain healthy starches like potatoes and yams,
dark green leafy and non-leafy veggies,
whole fruits,
and a few nuts and seeds (to which you are not allergic). Almond milk is awesome stuff!
nothing processed (in a form that doesn't exist without the help of a factory) including MINIMIZING oils, salts, and sugars, all of which are processed foods.
From these basic foods you can make a wide variety of healthy healing meals and your body will heal much faster! It's overwhelming if you've never thought about food in this kind of nuts and bolts way, but within 2 weeks you'll understand how to put a simple meal together from basic foods and believe me, your body will start fixing things you never even knew were wrong with it. It's shocking how quickly your health soars when you eat like this.

Surround yourself with love, joy, peace, supportive family and friends, include everyone and everything in your circle of love, beam love out of your eyeballs everyday, and give! GIVE GIVE GIVE. (I give knitting and gluten free vegan food to anyone who asks, every day. I don't have money. I can't even work. But I give what I do have.) Giving says to the universe, I have all I need and more than enough. It's amazing how the cup overflows when that is your mindset. And, how it all flows back to you in the form of love and healing.

Blessings and good health to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoniDew For This Useful Post:
Woofens (11-17-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Woofens View Post
My doctor today told me he wants me to try a gluten free diet, after 10 years of chronic pain, I got a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia today. Was kind of expecting it, but still wasn't news I wanted to hear. He said some people with fibro say a gluten free diet helps, and I'm willing to try just about anything. I'm totally clueless, though, and am hoping to get some advice from people that have been there, done that. Thanks, all!
Weighing in a bit late here. I have one patient with fibromyalgia who swears by a gluten free diet, so it can't hurt to try it.

I do know that it is always helped by a good night's sleep. It also helps to stretch (yoga, etc.) or exercise by simply walking.

It is worsened by aspartame, so try to avoid Nutrasweet (which is something everyone should do, anyway). Also check food labels for hydrolyzed proteins like MSG (monosodium glutamate), sodium caseinate, yeast extract, autolyzed yeast.

Try not to let it rule your life, IOW, don't BECOME your diagnosis. I guess I mean, try not to let it limit you. Push your self physically when you can, because it 's even worse to sit and do nothing.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Woofens View Post
My doctor today told me he wants me to try a gluten free diet, after 10 years of chronic pain, I got a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia today. Was kind of expecting it, but still wasn't news I wanted to hear. He said some people with fibro say a gluten free diet helps, and I'm willing to try just about anything. I'm totally clueless, though, and am hoping to get some advice from people that have been there, done that. Thanks, all!
Originally Posted by claireweber View Post
Hey All - DH started following a diet based on the Joel Fuhrman's book 'Eat to Live'. Although not strictly gluten free, the focus is on fresh foods, "Salad is the Main Meal" is a motto. Lots of fruit and vegetables. I found this website with some of his recipes:

Dr. Fuhrman Recipes

Fibromyalgia is inflammation based. When inflammation is triggered off and stays on it becomes chronic, beginning a cycle of disease. This website, nutritiondata.com, includes ratings for the inflammation factor of foods. You can track the food that you eat, including foods with non-inflammatory ratings; at the end of the day target a plus factor, ending up with a non-inflammatory rating by days end.

Ten American Foods Banned in Other Countries lists foods that are banned in other countries and what their impact is on our bodies.
Thanks for the link about the 10 banned foods. In my family, we call stuff like this "Frankenfood."
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote