Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Holiday headache
I'm sure you will all set me straight but it's not even Thanksgiving and I already wish it were January and the holidays were behind us ! My MIL and step SIL "fight" about who is hosting what dinner and in all these years my MIL has NEVER made an effort to be at our house for a holiday unless my family is coming. Once again this year my parents are making the 9+hr drive for Christmas and all of the sudden my MIL (only 2hrs away) was hoping to come b/c she just "never gets to see us." We have 1 guest room and a not-so-big house. MIL is offended when I say the large not-so-housebroken dog needs to stay with someone else.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Sigh. The holiday season is often enough to make us wish for a fast-forward button on the calendar. Your hands are full - you have my sympathies. Please vent as needed.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,432 Times in 3,111 Posts
Seems like you have it all straight already. It sounds like your MIL enjoys being with you and your parents. Take that as a plus. Don't feel sorry in the least for asking that the dog stay home. It's not too much to ask under any circumstances.
Deep breath and enjoy the holidays for all the good things that they bring. And yes, come back here for sympathetic ears when all the good things are too much of a good thing.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by vaknitter View Post
I'm sure you will all set me straight but it's not even Thanksgiving and I already wish it were January and the holidays were behind us ! My MIL and step SIL "fight" about who is hosting what dinner and in all these years my MIL has NEVER made an effort to be at our house for a holiday unless my family is coming. Once again this year my parents are making the 9+hr drive for Christmas and all of the sudden my MIL (only 2hrs away) was hoping to come b/c she just "never gets to see us." We have 1 guest room and a not-so-big house. MIL is offended when I say the large not-so-housebroken dog needs to stay with someone else.
Could you ask MIL to stay at a nearby bed and breakfast? Just wondering, because rather than descend upon a certain relative during the holidays, we decided we would take turns staying at a B&B. Sort of helps ease the tension.
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

I like jinx's idea.
We are inviting my daughter's in law's to come for a few days while the kids are here over Christmas. The kids live in MA and come every other year at Christmas. The in law's live just across the Ohio River in KY. That way they get to see the grandkids around the holidays. We have also gone down there to see them when it's their year for Christmas.
This year all three of the girls will be here (first time in probably 8 years they've all been here at the same time) so the 3 bedroom ranch will be busting at the seams. The in law's will stay at a nearby hotel as there just simply isn't enough room here for everyone. They are fine with that.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ABC's Mom For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (11-19-2013)