Old 01-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #1
pammay88
Casting On

shaping armholes on back piece of my first sweater
Instructions say.. starting From knit row ( back piece) ..bind off on both sides in every second row... 2 stitches 2 times and dec 1 st 7 times
So ... When I bind off 2 st 2 times is that bind off 2 stitches together or as 4 individual stitches. Then I decrease 7 stitches knit rest of row then decrease 7 stitches and than the bind off same as beginning of row?
Then I purl back and on next knit row I repeat.
Ultimately I go from 91 st to 69 stitches. Praticing on a sample first
pammay88 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-07-2014, 05:53 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,330 Times in 3,015 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!
Bind off 2sts means to knit 2sts, lift the first over the second, knit another st, lift the first over the second so that you've lifted off 2 sts.
You can't really bind off at the end of the row so for the bind off of 2sts, bind off 2sts at the beginning of the right side row, work to the end of the row, turn as you normally do at the end of a row and bind off 2sts at the beginning of this wrong side row. Work to the end of the wrong side row and then repeat these bind offs once again (8sts total bount off). The bind offs will be very slightly offset (not on the same row) but it won't be noticeable.
Now you can do the decrease of one stitch on each side every right side row. This is a gradual shaping of the armhole. You could knit one, ssk, work to 3sts before the end, k2tog, knit one st. Do that every right side row 6 more times and you'll be at 69sts.
Working a sample is an excellant idea. Good luck with the rest of the sweater!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
pammay88
Casting On

so have patience with me..
on the knit row
. I bind off 2 stitches at beginning
. then decrease 1 stitch by knitting one. slip one. slip one. knit those two slipped stitches together than knit one
. than knit to 4 stiches from end of row and repeat the decrease.

.than on the purl row I do the bind off and purl to end of row

. than repeat above till I am down to 69 stiches.....

thanks for your help.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by pammay88 View Post
so have patience with me..
on the knit row
. I bind off 2 stitches at beginning
. then decrease 1 stitch by knitting one. slip one. slip one. knit those two slipped stitches together than knit one
. than knit to 4 stiches from end of row and repeat the decrease.

.than on the purl row I do the bind off and purl to end of row

. than repeat above till I am down to 69 stiches.....

thanks for your help.
No, not quite. As Salmonmac said, you'll be doing the bind off rows and then you do the decrease rows.

So it will be:

Bind off 2 sts at begining of K row
Bind off 2 sts at begining of P row
Repeat these 2 rows once more
*Dec 1 st at beg of knit row, work to end of K row, dec 1st at end of K row
Work P row* repeat from * to* until you have 69 stitches

Salmonmac's advice to work the decreases 1 st in from the will make it easier when it comes to sewing the back and front(s) to the sleeves.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
pammay88
Casting On

BING the light went on. bind offs first than decrease remaining to 69..why don't they just say that in the instructions.....

thank you both of you for your help. will do the sample first tonight and see how it looks although the stitch numbers are not the same the principal is.

I am a weaver, have been for 36 years. never knit although my mom was a prolific and talented knitter. well I lost her in 2010 and this fall decided to try knitting as I have arthritis in my right foot and am on a hiatus from weaving and am done with cross stitch. so with youtube, this web site and a great knit shop in the city I am tackling projects way above my comfort level but its how I work...lol.

pamela
Old 01-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,555 Posts
My first "real" project was a sweater with a hood, buttonholes, set in pockets, but I did do raglan sleeves...yeah, I get the "over my comfort level" part. You'll do great! After doing this sweater most things will be much easier. We'd love to see a photo of your work too. I'm glad you found KH. Welcome.

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Pamela, glad to have you here and happy that you've decided to pick up knitting. Part of the fun is extending beyond what you know already. Good for you!
We'd love to see a photo of the finished sweater, too, if you'd like to post one.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #8
pammay88
Casting On

So the arm hole shaping worked out fine. I can't upload a pic as the file size even on the lowest setting on my phone is to big . Will try with camera later. Now I am on to shoulder shaping and I just again do not understand what is wanted. Instructions are...
Shape shoulders and neck
Shoulders
Bind off both sides in every second row ...5 stitches 2 times and 7 stitches once.
neck
At the same time as beg shoulders bind off the middle 33 stitches and on both sides thereof dec 2 rows another 1 st once.

Huh?
now I remember I can only bind off at beginning of row. I bind off 5 stitches at beginning of knit row and then 5 stitches at beginning of purl row. Do that 2 times. Then bind of 7 stitches beginning of knit and purl rows. Once

While doing end row bind off on end of rows ( I mark the center 33 stitches) I I have no idea what they are saying.
Thanks in advance for your help
Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 AM   #9
salmonmac
Mod Squad

You're doing both the shoulder shaping and the neck shaping at the same time. Start by marking off the center 33sts. You can tie a loop of yarn around the needle to mark these sts.
You're right about the shoulder shaping. When you do the first bind off of 5sts on the knit row, continue the row until the first marker. Now start the bind off of 33sts (k2, lift the first over the second, etc until 33sts have been lifted off). Continue to knit to the end of the row, Turn, bind off 5sts and purl to the gap at the bound off sts. To work the other shoulder, you'll need to attach a second end of yarn. Hold it in place (with about a 6inch tail) as you bind off 2sts, then purl to the end of the row. Don't worry that the first st with the new yarn is a bit loose. You can tighten up later.
Turn and on the knit side, bind off 5sts, work to the neck opening, drop the yarn, pick up the yarn for the other shoulder, bind off 2 sts, and knit to the end of the row, turn bind off 5sts, purl to the neck, pick up the other strand of yarn and bind off one st on that neck edge. Continue like this with the bind offs at the neck edge and the armhole/shoulder edge until you've completed all the bind offs.
I usually make a drawing showing the bind offs at each side and nedk edges. As I do the bind offs, I mark off the numbers so that I can see where I am and what I need to do.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
pammay88
Casting On

Thank you so much for all the help . had grandchild duties this week so just got back to the shaping the back shoulders,. All done and it looks good to me. Will start a side panel now. Had to order more noro yarn but all good now. Again knitting community thanks so !much for your help. You will hear from me again I am sure
Pamela