Old 01-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
amandabm
Casting On

Many questions using circular needles. Help!
Ok, so I'm new to knitting and have only done scarves. I'm attempting to knit a baby blanket using a cable knit pattern and am using circular needles for the first time. My questions are...

1) I'm so confused about what I've read about switching needle sides at the end of each row. If I switch them, my working yarn would be on the wrong side?!

2) After I casted on and knitted/purled my first row, it is connected by a piece of yarn at the end. Is that supposed to be there?

My blanket is 164 stitches and I think my circular needles are 21/23 inches? I feel so stupid, but I literally have no one in this area that I know that can help me, and my knitting books don't seem to answer these questions. I like taking on challenges and really hope to make this work!
amandabm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,248 Times in 2,744 Posts
Hi. Welcome. I assume your blanket is knitted flat, not in the round and that's what's causing the confusion. When you get to the end of the row turn your work just as you would if you were using two straight needles. Change the left needle to your right hand and the right needle to your left hand. You can now begin knitting the new row with your working yarn in the right place.

Knitting Flat With Circular Needles

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Welcome! What GG said. And needle length when knitting flat all depends, if your 164 sts fit comfortably for you on that length needle then go for it. If you're not comfortable or your stitches are coming off, you might want to consider using a longer length cable.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

I always use circular needles. When doing something flat, just pretend they aren't joined
Old 01-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

2) After I casted on and knitted/purled my first row, it is connected by a piece of yarn at the end. Is that supposed to be there?

Did you turn as in the video or just continue knitting without turning? If you didn't turn, you're now knitting in the round. The only way to fix it if you are knitting flat is to take out the row and redo it, just make sure to turn your work when you do.

HTH

Old 01-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
amandabm
Casting On

I'm still confused, so sorry...If I'm knitting on circular needles isn't the whole piece always connected. I can clearly see where the row ends bc there's a length of yarn separating it, so it's not a continual piece. Is that correct? I still need clarification with switching needles. How can you switch sides w/out the working yarn also switching? Are you supposed to knit from the opposite side? I know, I'm prob making no sense at all!
Old 01-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Did you watch the video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZqt19tpfDs She turns her work in it just the same as you'll need to do. When you turn, nothing is connected. I think what happened is that you didn't turn as if on straight needles and began knitting at what should have been the end and not the beginning of the next row.

No need to be sorry. Things like this are very confusing at the start but you'll get it figured out.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
amandabm
Casting On

Thank you so much! I think I understand now what happened. After I casted on, I didn't switch sides right off the bat. I will just start over!
The Following User Says Thank You to amandabm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

I'm glad you got it. Sometimes I get stuck on something that after the fact is so obvious to me, and it is frustrating! You'll be off to a good start now. Let us know how it goes, and we love pictures of the things people knit. If you have more questions be sure to ask.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post: