Old 01-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
YasmineCherfi
Casting On

1960 Vintage Pattern HELP!
Hi, guys! It's been a while since I've visited but I would be grateful for some help with this pattern also the first garment I am making! There is a slight problem though and I don't feel advanced enough to start tinkering with measurements!

My bustline is 23" in front (which doubled is 46") which I assume is the measurement I would use for the pattern however the largest given is 36".

Then I am even more confused as the blocking measurements for the 36" bust is then 39 inches. Is this the true finished size of the items, that 3" are added? So would I knit for 43" considering that blocking would add 3"??? I'm so confused!

Also,

1. Roughly how many stitches would I cast on for the size I need?
2. How to smock as directed in the pattern?
3. Would I need to put any increases and decreases anywhere?

One more thing, if anyone more experienced could tell me about the yarn (Bear or Fleishers Win-Sport, I think!) as I cannot find out what ply it is or how to choose a similar yarn as I cannot work out the ply or gauge! Thank you so much in advance!

Here is the pattern:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Part 2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	57449  Click image for larger version

Name:	Part 3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	57450  
YasmineCherfi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
YasmineCherfi
Casting On

Here is the very first bit with all the measurements, gauge info, yarn and needles!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1st part.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	57451  
Old 01-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
YasmineCherfi
Casting On

And here is the picture of the project. The photo is lovely of the woman wearing it but the file is too big :(

Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	pict.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	57452  
Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
Some of this will become clearer when you buy some yarn and test it out with your needles to see what gauge you get. The Win-sport yarn knits at 28sts/4inches.
http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library...rand-win-sport
If the sweater blocks out at about 3 inches greater than the given measurement for that size, it may block out to slightly larger on a larger base size. So yes, consider the blocked size and knit to ~3inches smaller.
Try out the pattern sts with your yarn too, that'll help you figure out how many sts to cast on. The pattern uses a repeat of 4sts +3 and the rib is a repeat of 4 sts +1 so you'll have to consider that and round up or down your cast on to suit. You can always re-adjust between the rib and the pattern stitch, usually by increasing.
Wow, great looking sweater!
Could you also please edit the pattern so that we don't have the whole pattern? Just the beginning specs are enough for now. That way we'll avoid copyright problems.
YasmineCherfi (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by YasmineCherfi View Post
My bustline is 23" in front (which doubled is 46") which I assume is the measurement I would use for the pattern however the largest given is 36".

One more thing, if anyone more experienced could tell me about the yarn (Bear or Fleishers Win-Sport, I think!) as I cannot find out what ply it is or how to choose a similar yarn as I cannot work out the ply or gauge! Thank you so much in advance!
Are you sure measuring the front of your bust and doubling will give an accurate meaurement, compared to measuring round your body? I ask because some of us (myself included) have more 'frontage' than 'backage' in this area.

Here is the link to a chart for discontined yarns (including Bear Win-Sport) that may be of help.
http://www.vintageknits.com/yarncharts.html

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
YasmineCherfi
Casting On

Thanks Salmonmac, Julie! The pattern comes from a whole booklet online that I downloaded as a free pdf file, I'm not sure about the restriction there.

Thanks for the tips; I would therefore scale up the knitting to 43 inches to allow for blocking?

Would using a DK weight 100% acrylic be suitable given the kind of yarn called for in the pattern?

We have a surplus of DK yarn here in the UK and it's the easiest to find for me!
Old 01-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,084 Times in 2,595 Posts
Originally Posted by YasmineCherfi View Post
Thanks Salmonmac, Julie! The pattern comes from a whole booklet online that I downloaded as a free pdf file, I'm not sure about the restriction there.

Thanks for the tips; I would therefore scale up the knitting to 43 inches to allow for blocking?

Would using a DK weight 100% acrylic be suitable given the kind of yarn called for in the pattern?

We have a surplus of DK yarn here in the UK and it's the easiest to find for me!

Where online is the booklet pdf? I think I'd like to make the same top.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,375 Times in 3,058 Posts
The pattern to fit the 36" bust blocks to 39" so presumably, that gives you ease similar to that shown in the photo. These sts, especially the rib, are going to be stretchy. If you want to fit a 46" bust, I think that you want to knit to 46" and block to 49" for the same kind of ease shown in the photo. When you do a swatch in pattern and block the swatch, I think you'll get a better idea of how many sts to cast on.
DK is going to give you a larger sweater since DK knits at 21-24sts/4inches and the pattern calls for a fingering weight yarn (28sts/4inches). You could try a swatch with DK and see how much wider it'll be. Maybe you'll even be able to use the pattern instructions for a smaller size. Be aware though that the drape of the sweater will probably change.
YasmineCherfi (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
YasmineCherfi
Casting On

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
The pattern to fit the 36" bust blocks to 39" so presumably, that gives you ease similar to that shown in the photo. These sts, especially the rib, are going to be stretchy. If you want to fit a 46" bust, I think that you want to knit to 46" and block to 49" for the same kind of ease shown in the photo. When you do a swatch in pattern and block the swatch, I think you'll get a better idea of how many sts to cast on.
DK is going to give you a larger sweater since DK knits at 21-24sts/4inches and the pattern calls for a fingering weight yarn (28sts/4inches). You could try a swatch with DK and see how much wider it'll be. Maybe you'll even be able to use the pattern instructions for a smaller size. Be aware though that the drape of the sweater will probably change.
Thanks! I think I'll stick to ordering 4 ply online just to be on the safe side!
Old 01-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
YasmineCherfi
Casting On

Hi, GrumpyGramma!

The booklet is lovely, it also has a couple of crochet patterns thrown in! I made a list of all the ones I wanted to make but this is my favourite. Ill try and give you the hyperlink if I can find it again.

xoxo Yas
The Following User Says Thank You to YasmineCherfi For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-11-2014)