Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap
 
smeldsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 272
Thanks: 106
Thanked 112 Times in 101 Posts
Questions from a beginner
1. When you begin to knit any project, is it necessary the yarn be in a ball?

2. I have heard different things about where to start your yarn. I've heard to start at the center of the yarn, after working the yarn; start with the piece easily accessible. Where do I start?

3. Why are some of the threads in red and the others are in black?

Thanks! Stephanie
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-13-2014, 01:09 AM   #2
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,751
Thanks: 1,995
Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
Hi. Generally speaking it's a good idea for the yarn to be in a ball before you knit with it. A hank of yarn will end up a tangled, snarled mess very quickly. You can start from the center or the outside, your choice. If your yarn has red and black in it, then it's a multicolor yarn. Do you have a particular project in mind?
__________________
~ GG

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
smeldsgang (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap
 
smeldsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 272
Thanks: 106
Thanked 112 Times in 101 Posts
Thanks!
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Hi. Generally speaking it's a good idea for the yarn to be in a ball before you knit with it. A hank of yarn will end up a tangled, snarled mess very quickly. You can start from the center or the outside, your choice. If your yarn has red and black in it, then it's a multicolor yarn. Do you have a particular project in mind?

Thanks for the responses!!!
Is there a good way to start forming a ball of yarn, and how do you keep it from rolling away from you? I guess if it's in a ball there will only be one place from which I can start.

Also, when I meant thread I was referring to the color of the print on each persons thread (title/question).
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,751
Thanks: 1,995
Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
Winding a center-pull ball You could try this method. You might find a way you like here, too. https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+win...a+ball+by+hand You can put the ball of yarn in a container of some sort to keep it from rolling away. I'm using a basket currently, sometimes I use a coffee can, other times a plastic bag from the store, it depends on what I'm making and what's handy.

The thread titles change color when you've clicked on them. That way you know when there are new posts.

Have you started knitting already? There are lots of free videos here, see tab at top of page, and they're really helpful.
__________________
~ GG

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
smeldsgang (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 02:31 AM   #5
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap
 
smeldsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 272
Thanks: 106
Thanked 112 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Winding a center-pull ball You could try this method. You might find a way you like here, too. https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+win...a+ball+by+hand You can put the ball of yarn in a container of some sort to keep it from rolling away. I'm using a basket currently, sometimes I use a coffee can, other times a plastic bag from the store, it depends on what I'm making and what's handy.

The thread titles change color when you've clicked on them. That way you know when there are new posts.

Have you started knitting already? There are lots of free videos here, see tab at top of page, and they're really helpful.

Great ideas for the ball of yarn!!!!!

Is there any type of notification when my question/thread has had a response?

I've begun a scarf for one of my daughters and I want to make one for my nephew. I have been watching the videos and they are very helpful and informative!
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:40 AM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe
 
GrumpyGramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,751
Thanks: 1,995
Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
You can subscribe to a thread and get email notifications. There is a Thread Tools button, top right, where you can subscribe. In User Settings you can set it to automatically subscribe you to any thread you start.

Scarves can be a lot of fun, lots of opportunity to play with colors and stitches. What pattern are you using?
__________________
~ GG

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:54 AM   #7
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap
 
smeldsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 272
Thanks: 106
Thanked 112 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
You can subscribe to a thread and get email notifications. There is a Thread Tools button, top right, where you can subscribe. In User Settings you can set it to automatically subscribe you to any thread you start.

Scarves can be a lot of fun, lots of opportunity to play with colors and stitches. What pattern are you using?

I'm not using a pattern, mostly because I have no idea how to read a pattern, and I am very new to knitting. The scarf I am making my daughter is all knit stitch, which I found out is a garter stitch. If I don't learn anything thing new before I start my nephews his will be done the same way.

Do you only receive notifications through e-mail?

Thanks for all your help. I always hesitate asking questions because I'm afraid it will not be answered.
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:30 AM   #8
Rorshach
Turning the Heel
 
Rorshach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kuna, Idaho
Posts: 968
Thanks: 71
Thanked 103 Times in 91 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
What I do to wind a center pull ball is, when I don't have my ball winder nearby, is to grab an empty TP tube, put a small tear in it to hold one end of the yarn, then wind the ball as normal. when I'm done, pull the tube out.
__________________
Aaron

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rorshach For This Useful Post:
sgtpam (01-13-2014), smeldsgang (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #9
salmonmac
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,546
Thanks: 636
Thanked 3,424 Times in 3,103 Posts
I agree about winding a center pull ball of yarn. Pulling yarn from the center helps keep the yarn from rolling around, too. It you buy the yarn in a skein, locate the end that's inside the skein and use that.
Welocme to the forum! We're delighted with any and all questions.
__________________
Knitting Help Videos Here!-
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
smeldsgang (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap
 
smeldsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 272
Thanks: 106
Thanked 112 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
I agree about winding a center pull ball of yarn. Pulling yarn from the center helps keep the yarn from rolling around, too. It you buy the yarn in a skein, locate the end that's inside the skein and use that.
Welocme to the forum! We're delighted with any and all questions.

How do you find the end that's inside the skein? I can never seem to find it without making a mess of the skein.
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very beginner questions about a pattern KnewbyKnitter How-to Questions 4 02-19-2009 09:36 PM
a few beginner questions Iskra How-to Questions 4 01-06-2009 11:22 AM
beginner questions olga1984 How-to Questions 2 11-09-2007 11:26 AM
Two beginner questions skNYC General Knitting 3 07-06-2006 01:23 PM
Beginner Questions Sierra How-to Questions 5 04-14-2006 01:54 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 AM.