Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #11
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
It really depends on the yarn brand, but some of them such as red heart, will have it printed on the label. Others, just look on both ends of the skein, you'll most likely see an end sticking out. In which case, when you start pulling on that you'll see what's known as "yarn barf" basically it's a mess of yarn that comes out at once, but after that it should be smooth sailing.

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rorshach For This Useful Post:
smeldsgang (01-13-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
LongShanks
Ribbing the Cuff

There are a number of ways to wind yarn into a ball by hand.

Winding Yarn on A NÝstepinne I use a toothbrush case for a Nostepinne. I keep knitting odds and ends inside the thoothbrush holder.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hand...-Ball-of-Yarn/

http://knitting.about.com/od/yarn/ss/ball-byhand.htmhttp://knitting.about.com/od/yarn/ss/ball-byhand.htm

Hear Hooves think horses.
LongShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LongShanks For This Useful Post:
smeldsgang (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by smeldsgang View Post
I'm not using a pattern, mostly because I have no idea how to read a pattern, and I am very new to knitting. The scarf I am making my daughter is all knit stitch, which I found out is a garter stitch. If I don't learn anything thing new before I start my nephews his will be done the same way.

Do you only receive notifications through e-mail?

Thanks for all your help. I always hesitate asking questions because I'm afraid it will not be answered.

What happens when your questions don't get answered?

Thread subscription notifications are by email only. However, once you have subscribed to a thread, when you go into "User settings", all of your subscribed threads that have new posts will be listed; you don't have to go looking for them among the rest of the forum.

I subscribe to all threads that I post in, mostly without notifications. When I visit the forum, I start in my User Settings to check for new posts in threads I've commented in before I look at the rest of the forum.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-13-2014), salmonmac (01-13-2014), smeldsgang (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #14
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,437 Times in 3,116 Posts
Now and then questions get overlooked. Send a private message to a moderator, a likely responder or perhaps someone involved in the thread. Just click the name and several options appear including, pm the person.

The best advice I've seen for finding the hidden end of yarn is to insert both index fingers and thumbs into the ends of the skein then find a single thread. Pull it out one end. More often than not, it's close to the end. Sometimes it isn't but often, success!
smeldsgang (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #15
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
What happens when your questions don't get answered?

Thread subscription notifications are by email only. However, once you have subscribed to a thread, when you go into "User settings", all of your subscribed threads that have new posts will be listed; you don't have to go looking for them among the rest of the forum.

I subscribe to all threads that I post in, mostly without notifications. When I visit the forum, I start in my User Settings to check for new posts in threads I've commented in before I look at the rest of the forum.

If a question doesn't get answered I research the heck out of it, if it's possible.
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #16
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,148 Times in 2,656 Posts
I think I understand about wondering will a question get answered. Most places say to search and search and see if it has already been answered, they don't want you asking questions that are already in there somewhere. This place isn't like that. Everyone is treated with respect and whenever possible they get a prompt answer, often more than one! Don't worry about whether it was answered three years ago, if you have a question, ask it. It took me quite a while to get used to that here. It's one of the reasons I check often to see if I can help someone. When I finally decided to ask questions here, I got responses and lots of help so fast I couldn't believe it. It's because of KH that I'm knitting at all. I'll never be as good as a lot the knitters here but that's OK. I still get treated as if I belong.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
smeldsgang (01-13-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #17
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I was afraid she was going to leave us if we missed any of her questions! This is a really good place to ask questions and I've never seen anyone get turned away for asking them.

Since we seem to be talking about finding the center of a ball, I'll throw in that I always work from the outside, rather than the middle -- I don't like the way the ball or skein collapses when the inside is taken out.

I *could* rewind it when that happens, but if I work from the outside, it never becomes an issue.

Since I use either ball-winder cakes or store-bought skeins, I just set it in the top of whatever I'm using to hold my project (tote bag, wicker basket, metal bucket, whatever), and that sits on the floor. As I knit, the yarn unwinds and *usually* doesn't roll around.

Sometimes I have to give an extra tug, if it isn't coming around the bottom smoothly, but usually I don't have to do anything extra, as long as it is sitting below where my needles are and the yarn is pulled straight up. (Does that make sense? If the yarn is coming off the side, instead of the top, the ball tends to roll and flop around, so I try to keep it on the floor near my feet.)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (01-14-2014), smeldsgang (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #18
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,148 Times in 2,656 Posts
I prefer using yarn from the outside also because I end up with a tangled mess when it collapses too. Winding from the outside when I make a ball from a larger one - I divide my sock yarn balls when I have the stuff that makes two socks - helps reduce the amount of twist added to the yarn.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
smeldsgang (01-14-2014)