Old 10-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #21
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Laura, if you could keep your beautiful children away from all those colorful sliders on that counter, you are doing wayyy better than me. It even looks like a toy!

To keep track of intricate patterns with counting rows, I usually make a notecard for every line with the instructions written in a way that makes sense to me, and I do little boxes to check off at the bottom of ones that are repeated. Then I hide the whole mess away from the children. Sometimes not well enough.

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #22
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Hey! Just got my issue of Creative Knitting and found this counter. Might it work for some of you?

(If the link doesn't take you right to it, look for "Knitting Chain Row Couner.")

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry

Last edited by Lisa R. : 10-10-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #23
mommydearest
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Lisa R. View Post
Hey! Just got my issue of Creative Knitting and found this counter. Might it work for some of you?

(If the link doesn't take you right to it, look for "Knitting Chain Row Couner.")
I saw this too and I think it's a great idea. I'm going to try placing my clover in play-doh and try that first. Of course I'll have to buy the play-doh first. My kids are way past that stage although if I bring it home they'll probably play with it anyway. I know it can be made and I used to have a recipe for it but it's long gone by now.

Thanks for all the suggestions since I've had these same questions.

Mary

FO's: Lots of dishcloths, beanies, bandanas, Easy Lace Scarf, Christmas Stockings - mini and regular sizes, Central Park Hoody, Scarf & Hat set, an American Flag Table Runner, Chenille Pillow cover

frogged: Log Cabin Stashghan - I'll try again but in different colors.

I'm jamn2knit @
http://www.ravelry.com/people/jamn2knit
mommydearest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #24
micheboBiche
Casting On

foot pedal counter.
how much would you be willing to pay for a footpedaled electronic row counter?
micheboBiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #25
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Lisa R. View Post
I've used this type of counter for some time. I picked up some 7 and 10mm split rings at the local craft store to make stitch markers. When I needed a row counter for repeating cables I linked some together. I put some type of bobble at one end to create a "start". Each row I advance another ring.

Cost for 100 rings was less than $5 US.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #26
icandothat
Casting On

foot pedal knitting counter
I can do that. With modern micro-controllers i can build a nifty foot peddled counter. Is there still interest in this? I thought about it because I normally just keep count on a piece of paper. reply to this thread if anyone thinks it's a good idea, maybe I'll make one.
icandothat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #27
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
I use Katcha Katcha...sometimes. My only issue with it...I forget to click it. Gah.
When I do use them...I'll use one Katcha Katcha for 'repeats'...and a second Katcha Katcha for 'rows'.

Most times, when I need to keep count of rows within a repeat...I use thread markers inserted into a defining KNIT COLUMN somewhere close by and easily seen.

Or if a repeat is 10 rows tall...I insert a thread marker in every 10th row. I leave the threads in place until I'm all done.

A foot operated counter wouldn't help me. I sit Indian Fashion most of the time.

Any row counter that's mechanized means you MUST REMEMBER to click it. That's my downfall. So I end up not trusting my counter, and recount rows over and over.

No more. The threads do it for me.

See the black threads on the far right of this photo? Works for me! They were keeping track of a cable repeat that sits close by.

The photo below shows red threads in addition to the black threads. The red threads were keeping track of the larger cable wishbone repeats. Works for me. With so many things going on...I would go crazy without my little helpers.

I leave ALL THREADS in place until all 5 pieces of a cardigan are knit up! This also helps
to create perfectly matching fronts. You know exactly how many repeats and rows in each
piece. I make note of the exact repeat and rows where the armhole bindoffs take place...on the Back first...and then I replicate the same thing for the two Fronts. Voila. Perfect alignment.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (01-19-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #28
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
PS...the gadget counter you showed is too fiddly for me. I'd never remember what's what. I'm too forgetful to remember to advance the little toggles.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote