Old 01-23-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
PrinceofWalesHospice
Casting On

Hi
Hi all,

As it states briefly in my profile i work for a charity called The Prince of Wales Hospice.

We provide support to terminally ill patients and their families throughout Yorkshire.

I am on the forum to find out how many of you get involved in charity knitting events and what you look for when getting involved?

Is it all about the charity?
If wool / knitting patterns were provided would that make a difference? etc?

Any feedback is useful.

Thanks
PrinceofWalesHospice is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
For me it's all about the charity and doing what is right. I generally use my own stash yarn to knit with. Patterns are nice if you want something particular. I have used patterns, but not always. Depends on what it is. I rarely get involved in events, but I have.

I've always liked charities that have a website. It feels official and the info required for the items is in one place. Info such as preferred yarn fiber, sizes, patterns, item needs, etc. if you don't have a website it might be a good idea.

Shipping to the UK would be too expensive for me personally, but we have some members here from the UK.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
PrinceofWalesHospice
Casting On

Thanks Jan,

We do have a website, but we don't have any knitting groups/events lined up at the moment.

We do have a page dedicated to knitting for charity, but as of yet we haven't got any knitting patterns, or stashes.

I will put it forward to the team, and we will definitely take a look at getting some of our very own knitting patterns made up. (maybe we could even sell them in our online shop for a donation)

once again thanks Jan.
PrinceofWalesHospice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,466 Times in 3,142 Posts
I think there are many on the forum who make items for charities. I like Carewear Volunteers which donates handmade items to hospitals, hospices, clinics, and homes for the elderly. They have a wonderful list of patterns which is a great source of inspiration. It's for items requested by various organizations.
http://www.carewear.org/index.php?page=patterns