Old 11-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
jackiesue
Casting On

Beginner needs help, too much yarn between needles!
I've knitted a scarf using chunky yarn and size 17 needles and did not have this problem. Now I'm trying to knit a baby hat on circular needles (size 8) and once I get all my stitches casted on and begin to knit, the more stitches I knit, the longer the yarn gets between my two needles. By the end of the first row, I've got 2-3 inches of yarn between my two needles and it keeps getting tangled up with the yarn pulled from the ball. I am beyond frustrated, as I've tried different methods of casting on, making sure I'm tightening the yarn after I pull a stitch off, and holding the yarn different ways. Nothing works. I still wind up with that huge amount of yarn between the needles that just keeps growing as I knit. I might add, this also happens when I use regular size 8 needles.

I'm using the right size needles and yarn for my project, I just don't know how to fix it!

Also, when using circular needles, what do you do with the slip-knot cast on when you get to the end of the round?
jackiesue is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Your needles might be too long for a baby hat. When I join in the round, I co 1 extra st and knit it together with the first CO st. The backward loop CO is not really suited as the foundation CO, especially on circular needles. Try long tail, knit or cable.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
jackiefromm
Casting On

I have the exact same problem using a much larger size circular needles. I have the right yarn as directed. What can I do to prevent this from happening. I have all this yarn left over in between needles which is really screwing me up when trying to knit. As well as a bunch of yarn I am unable to use. I have tried everything many times just as Jackiesue did.
Is it a way to cast on to prevent this from happening?
Thank. Someone help. Thanks.
jackiefromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
jackiefromm
Casting On

Originally Posted by jackiefromm View Post
I have the exact same problem using a much larger size circular needles. I have the right yarn as directed. What can I do to prevent this from happening. I have all this yarn left over in between needles which is really screwing me up when trying to knit. As well as a bunch of yarn I am unable to use. I have tried everything many times just as Jackiesue did.
Is it a way to cast on to prevent this from happening?
Thank. Someone help. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,285 Times in 2,972 Posts
Welcome!
It may be due to the cast on that you're using. Is it a long strand connecting the two needles that grows longer with each stitch? The thumb loop cast on will do this. It's also a more difficult cast on to knit into for the first row. Try the knit cast on or one of the others that are shown on the Free Videos tab at the top of the page under Cast Ons and see if that corrects the problem.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
jackiefromm
Casting On

Thank you so much. I will do that. I think it is the cast on method I am using as well. Again thanks.