Old 02-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
ButtercupVictoria
Casting On

Oh my god, I have to say... Switzerland is one of the most beautiful places in the world! It is so amazing, when I first saw it, I said "people who were born here were born into Heaven".
I hope you will go, you really should not miss such an opportunity. I loved the food, from the classic fondue to the wonderful soups... It's just BEAUTIFUL THERE!
ButtercupVictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ButtercupVictoria For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (04-30-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #22
bambi
Working the Gusset

I live in Switzerland....
Hi!

I realize that I'm a little late responding to this thread, but I live in Switzerland. Switzerland is very family friendly. You can find playgrounds in many spots and you can also stay in a kinder hotel that has kid's clubs, maybe for kids that are older than yours, though. It is stroller friendly in many spots. It is, however, not cheap. Plan on spending about 100-150 CHF for a family the size of yours for each meal. Try booking.com for apartments or hotels where breakfast are included. The grocery stores have prepared sandwiches for picnic lunches if you want to save a buck or two. Then it is just dinner out.

I would skip Zurich in favor of Luzern or Bern. They are both much prettier with more to do. If you have a chance, go to Montreux on Lac Leman (Lake Geneva). You will think you dreamed this place up, it is that gorgeous. Gruyere is fun to visit cheese and chocolate factories and is a short hop from Montreux. Lugano, Switzerland is pretty darn wonderful, too.

I, personally, think that Milan is totally skipable in favor of Venice or Florence. The Lake Como region of Italy is beautiful. Trains in Italy are easy.

I don't know much about the area that you are going to but it looks lovely, too. If you get a chance to go to Krystalwelten Swarovski near Innsbruck, Austria, go there! It is facinating.

I live in Basel which is a great place, but alas, skippable on a vacation.

If I can help in any other way, let me know! Cheers!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bambi For This Useful Post:
vaknitter (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 PM   #23
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Oh My you live in Switzerland !! Want to trade houses for a few months?
Unfortunately we've had to table our travel plans for a few different reasons. The cost was adding up too fast considering the boys are so young and not likely to "appreciate" where we are. My husband will be in a conference so I would be sight seeing w/ boys and my parents....and my father had to have surgery next week. We don't want to make plans until his doctor clears him to travel and gets post-op meds all straight.

Where we would be seems somewhat out-of-the way of most everything I would want to see which is also troublesome. How much trouble would I be in for if we rented a car? Is gas terribly expensive? A car opens a whole new can of worms in that we would need to fly our carseats over...maybe we can rent them with the car..or that could be gross...just don't know.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #24
bambi
Working the Gusset

I'm not sure how much renting a car would be but the bigger rental companies have rental car seats. If you rent a diesel, you will do better. Most rental cars over here in Europe are manual transmission, not a problem if you know how to drive one. Gas is about 4 times more expensive, about 1.80 per liter diesel. Times that by about 3.8 to get gallons. My diesel car over here gets incredible gas mileage, tho. Switzerland is very safe to drive in with wide, well cared for roads and some of the strictest driving laws in the world.

Check trains, too. Mostly expensive but sometimes you can get deals and very practical.

The Graubunden region where the conference is is nice and if you wanted to stay close, the "Heidi" region of Switzerland, St Moritz, Austria, and Bavaria, Germany are close.

I hope you do get to come. It's a nice country to visit. Best of luck to your dad with his surgery.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:16 AM   #25
quincymarwel
Casting On

Awsome!!
quincymarwel is offline   Reply With Quote