Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #21
salmonmac
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,244
Thanks: 610
Thanked 3,331 Times in 3,016 Posts
Jan, I'd like to know some of your favorites of the knitting authors. I'm reading an Ann Cleves novel right now that takes place in the Shetland Islands. One of the characters dyes yarn, knits and is setting up a teaching center for these island crafts.
__________________
Knitting Help Videos Here!-
salmonmac is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salmonmac For This Useful Post:
knitcindy (03-03-2014), Woofens (03-02-2014)

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #22
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset
 
fatoldladyinpjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wisconsin near Green Bay
Posts: 1,564
Thanks: 157
Thanked 522 Times in 423 Posts
I learned how to knit from a neighbor girl when I was 12. That was in the late 1960's. My mother taught me how to crochet, but I mostly did simple things like blankets. I didn't get serious about crochet until maybe two years ago. I learned from Youtube tutorials. I quit smoking and needed something to do with my hands rather than burning one at break time. I brought crochet projects with me to do in the lunch room. I just had my anniversary on Valentine's Day. Two years smoke free thanks to knitting and crochet. Cigarettes here are around $7.50 per pack, so I'm saving $224 bucks per month. More money for yarn now and no venturing out in bad weather for a pack or going outside to smoke.
__________________
Welsh corgis are cool.
fatoldladyinpjs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatoldladyinpjs For This Useful Post:
claireweber (03-06-2014), justplaincharlotte (03-03-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #23
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap
 
smeldsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 250
Thanks: 101
Thanked 104 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I've read bunches of knitting novels. If anyone is interested I can list the authors.

That would be great! Thanks for the offer!!!
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #24
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap
 
smeldsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 250
Thanks: 101
Thanked 104 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Jan, I'd like to know some of your favorites of the knitting authors. I'm reading an Ann Cleves novel right now that takes place in the Shetland Islands. One of the characters dyes yarn, knits and is setting up a teaching center for these island crafts.

Sounds interesting! Fiction or non-fiction? I prefer non-fiction, but I can always get into a good fictional book.
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #25
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap
 
smeldsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 250
Thanks: 101
Thanked 104 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
I learned how to knit from a neighbor girl when I was 12. That was in the late 1960's. My mother taught me how to crochet, but I mostly did simple things like blankets. I didn't get serious about crochet until maybe two years ago. I learned from Youtube tutorials. I quit smoking and needed something to do with my hands rather than burning one at break time. I brought crochet projects with me to do in the lunch room. I just had my anniversary on Valentine's Day. Two years smoke free thanks to knitting and crochet. Cigarettes here are around $7.50 per pack, so I'm saving $224 bucks per month. More money for yarn now and no venturing out in bad weather for a pack or going outside to smoke.

CONGRATULATIONS on your 2 years of being smoke free!!!!! I bet it's a lot more rewarding to spend money on something which you can appreciate and others can too!

Thank you for sharing your story!!!!
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #26
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Jenison, Michigan
Posts: 286
Thanks: 109
Thanked 67 Times in 63 Posts
I taught myself to knit. My mother in law helped me some as I wanted to make my husband a sweater for Christmas. Talk about jumping in with both feet!! First knitting project ever and I was attempting a sweater??? Anyway it turned out pretty good for a first attempt.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #27
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap
 
smeldsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 250
Thanks: 101
Thanked 104 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by ABC's Mom View Post
I taught myself to knit. My mother in law helped me some as I wanted to make my husband a sweater for Christmas. Talk about jumping in with both feet!! First knitting project ever and I was attempting a sweater??? Anyway it turned out pretty good for a first attempt.

I wish I had someone from whom I could get some one-on-one help. That is in person or IRL.
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #28
knitcindy
Turning the Heel
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 650
Thanks: 46
Thanked 131 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by smeldsgang View Post
Thank you for listing some of her books. Have you read any of them? Are they fiction or non-fiction? I Googled her series and this is what I found:http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2..._Street_Series
Yes, I've read ALL of her Blossom Street books and I own most of them. Each one also includes at least 1 pattern of a project mentioned in the book. I try to keep track of when new ones are being published and then RUN to the library to get it out!!!

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitcindy For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (03-03-2014), smeldsgang (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #29
knitcindy
Turning the Heel
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 650
Thanks: 46
Thanked 131 Times in 107 Posts
salmonmac, can you give us the title of that Anne Cleves novel?? Sounds interesting!!!

Jan, I'd like to see that list of knitting author's names too!!!

One of my favorite knitting books NOT in a series is "Family Tree" by Barbara Delinsky. Gives you something to think about, too!!!

If I can't be knitting, then READING about knitting is the next best thing!!!!!!!

knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #30
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 37,159
Thanks: 1,656
Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
These authors mostly write fiction, but I think there's a few others. I've enjoyed them all. And there are others I've not even got to yet so I sent some samples to my kindle! I usually read them on my kindle, but they also come in paperback I think.

Anne Bartlett
Gil McNeil
Ann Hood
Debbie Macomber
Kate Jacobs
Nicole R. Dickson
Terri DuLong
Beth Pattillo
Anne Canadeo
Maggie Sefton
Sally Goldenbaum
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (03-03-2014), smeldsgang (03-03-2014), Woofens (03-03-2014)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re-learning to knit...help melinda9723 How-to Questions 15 06-17-2012 05:01 PM
learning to knit Joan51 How-to Questions 2 05-19-2012 05:34 AM
Learning to Knit w/o Looking new_knitter How-to Questions 17 02-04-2009 08:27 PM
learning a new way to knit? bethie How-to Questions 3 04-28-2006 03:38 PM
Learning to knit.. Stumbleine How-to Questions 3 10-18-2005 02:12 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.