Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #31
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

I taught myself to knit over a weekend on a business trip in 2010. There was literally nothing else to do in the small town I was in except sleep or belly up to the hotel bar, so at WalMart I picked up a clearance ball of chunky yarn, some clearance straight 10 1/2 needles, and a little how to knit pamphlet, also on clearance. For about $5 I frustrated myself all weekend long in my hotel room and learned to knit. Best $5 I ever spent!

I love the Blossom Street novels, and plan on making Alix's Prayer Shawl one of these post beast days. I just finished Clara Parkes' The Yarn Whisperer. It's a series of essays on life, the universe, and everything as knitting relates to them.

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
claireweber (03-06-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #32
smeldsgang
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by knitcindy View Post
salmonmac, can you give us the title of that Anne Cleves novel?? Sounds interesting!!!

Jan, I'd like to see that list of knitting author's names too!!!

One of my favorite knitting books NOT in a series is "Family Tree" by Barbara Delinsky. Gives you something to think about, too!!!

If I can't be knitting, then READING about knitting is the next best thing!!!!!!!

knitcindy

LOL!!!!!
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smeldsgang For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (03-04-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #33
smeldsgang
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
I taught myself to knit over a weekend on a business trip in 2010. There was literally nothing else to do in the small town I was in except sleep or belly up to the hotel bar, so at WalMart I picked up a clearance ball of chunky yarn, some clearance straight 10 1/2 needles, and a little how to knit pamphlet, also on clearance. For about $5 I frustrated myself all weekend long in my hotel room and learned to knit. Best $5 I ever spent!

I love the Blossom Street novels, and plan on making Alix's Prayer Shawl one of these post beast days. I just finished Clara Parkes' The Yarn Whisperer. It's a series of essays on life, the universe, and everything as knitting relates to them.

That book seems to be very interesting! THANKS!!!

Aren't you happy you were bored? You picked up a great hobby!
justplaincharlotte (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 12:56 AM   #34
offgridgirl
Knitting the Flap

Really great to hear all the different events that starting the knitting fun.

I learned from my Grandmother as she was a righty and my mother was a lefty and we butted heads to often. I started at 8 and now 40 years later still knit projects in the winter time mostly. There is a small young group at the local school. I join them and help out where I can. I do have a couple of knit books

Knitting without tears by Elizabeth Zimmermann
Socks Soar on two circular needles by Cat Bordi
Too Cute by Debbie Ware
Folk Bags by Vicki Square
Old 03-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #35
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by smeldsgang View Post
That book seems to be very interesting! THANKS!!!

Aren't you happy you were bored? You picked up a great hobby!
You're very welcome!

Absolutely! It was a challenge, and still is. Love it, love it, love it!

I forgot to mention that the patterns in the Blossom Street books are available at Debbie Macomber's website. Happily a new Blossom Street novel is coming out on the 25th of this month!

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises."
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (03-04-2014), smeldsgang (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #36
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I started knitting in 2005 and I'm 61 now. I crocheted, but prefer the look of knitting so I decided to learn. I took a local class which proved basically useless so I'm self taught.

If you're wondering... The teacher insisted there was only one right way to knit...her way. Wrong way to teach x1000.

My small town used to have a yarn shop and I learned how to knit there. I wasn't able to sign up for one of their classes, but the owner made an exception and spent a couple of evenings teaching me one-on-one, at the normal class rate.

She thought that the way I held the knitting needles was kind of odd, but she said it seemed to be working for me, so she wasn't going to try to change it.

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte View Post
You're very welcome!

Absolutely! It was a challenge, and still is. Love it, love it, love it!

I forgot to mention that the patterns in the Blossom Street books are available at Debbie Macomber's website. Happily a new Blossom Street novel is coming out on the 25th of this month!

I have one of the Blossom Street pattern books -- I forget which one, but I *think* it is Knit Along with Debbie Macomber - The Shop on Blossom Street.

I have two of the books on audio CD, Back on Blossom Street and Summer on Blossom Street. I enjoyed them both quite a lot and have listened to them more than once. I look for more whenever I am at Costco, but I suppose I should just get the ones I missed with my Audible credits!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (03-05-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #37
smeldsgang
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by offgridgirl View Post
Really great to hear all the different events that starting the knitting fun.

I learned from my Grandmother as she was a righty and my mother was a lefty and we butted heads to often. I started at 8 and now 40 years later still knit projects in the winter time mostly. There is a small young group at the local school. I join them and help out where I can. I do have a couple of knit books

Knitting without tears by Elizabeth Zimmermann
Socks Soar on two circular needles by Cat Bordi
Too Cute by Debbie Ware
Folk Bags by Vicki Square

Absolutely!!!!

It seems as if many women learned from their grandmothers, just like you. Thank you for more recommended reading!!!
offgridgirl (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #38
smeldsgang
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
My small town used to have a yarn shop and I learned how to knit there. I wasn't able to sign up for one of their classes, but the owner made an exception and spent a couple of evenings teaching me one-on-one, at the normal class rate.

She thought that the way I held the knitting needles was kind of odd, but she said it seemed to be working for me, so she wasn't going to try to change it.

I have one of the Blossom Street pattern books -- I forget which one, but I *think* it is Knit Along with Debbie Macomber - The Shop on Blossom Street.

I have two of the books on audio CD, Back on Blossom Street and Summer on Blossom Street. I enjoyed them both quite a lot and have listened to them more than once. I look for more whenever I am at Costco, but I suppose I should just get the ones I missed with my Audible credits!

I hope I never have to let anyone see how I hold the needles! I taught myself to knit and I figured a way to hold them that I've never seen before, because it is VERY odd. My dd laughed at me, but she started doing the same thing. She has since learned how to hold them 'correctly' but I can't get the hang of it. Thank you for the great response!!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #39
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,989 Times in 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by smeldsgang View Post
I hope I never have to let anyone see how I hold the needles! I taught myself to knit and I figured a way to hold them that I've never seen before, because it is VERY odd. My dd laughed at me, but she started doing the same thing. She has since learned how to hold them 'correctly' but I can't get the hang of it. Thank you for the great response!!
There are no knitting police. If it works for you and isn't causing pain to hold them the way you do, who cares? Not me! If it works, it's right.

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
claireweber (03-06-2014), Jan in CA (03-05-2014), justplaincharlotte (03-05-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #40
ABC's Mom
Knitting the Flap

Have you tried your LYS? Mine here is a wealth of knowledge and they have help classes 3 times a week. It's a great tool for the store as well as making new friends in the knitting world.
I am also fortunate that I have another friend that is an avid knitter who I can always ask for help on projects where the yarn wasn't purchased at the LYS.
ABC's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote