Old 02-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
MizTessie
Casting On

Confusing Pattern
I'm working on a sweater and I'm supposed to be working on the shoulders. The instructions are very confusing. (I've made the armholes, and I'm using two stich holders--one at the end and one in the middle for the neck, just in case anyone needs this information).

They instructions say:
Shoulder - Bind off 4 (6-8) sts at beg. of next row. Bind off 6 sts at beg. of each of next 4 rows worked from armhole edge. Beg. at neck edge, work left side to correspond.

And I'm not sure what this means, at all. I'm also confused about what I'm supposed to do because of the stitch holders.
MizTessie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by MizTessie View Post
They instructions say:
Shoulder - Bind off 4 (6-8) sts at beg. of next row. Bind off 6 sts at beg. of each of next 4 rows worked from armhole edge. Beg. at neck edge, work left side to correspond.
You have divided the front and have two halves (right and left) to be worked from the bottom of the neck up to the shoulders.

On Right half...
Next row (I assume to be WS): BO 4 (6,8), work to end (where the middle stitch holder is). Turn work and continue on Right half.
Next row: BO6, work to end
Next row: work even

Work Left half in same way, reversing the shaping to match (i.e. make a mirror image)
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
MizTessie
Casting On

Thank you, you explained it very clearly. And this might sound a bit dumb, but I still have 8 stitches left on my needle. Do I bind those off, too?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
Itsounds like this pattern:
http://freevintageknitting.com/sweat...y2/pullover125

If so, you start the shaping with 28 (30-32) sts. Then the directions are those you quoted for the shoulder:
Bind off 4 (6-8) sts at beg. of next row. Bind off 6 sts at beg. of each of next 4 rows worked from armhole edge.
Those directions should use up all the sts in each of the 3 sizes. For example, bind off 4sts, 6sts, 6sts, 6sts, 6sts=28sts for the smallest size. The same is true for the medium and large sizes.
If you have 8sts left over, you may have started with more sts before the shoulder shaping? Or you might have miscounted a bind off? Remember too, that you need to lift the given number of sts over and off the needle.
ETA: I just noticed that the directions before the shoulder shaping have you end the right shoulder on a wrong side (WS)row. That would mean that the bind off of 4(6-8)sts occurs on a right side (RS) row at the neck edge. The following bind offs however at all on the armhole edge. I'm not sure that it makes a big difference but that is what the pattern directions are.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
MizTessie
Casting On

Salmonmac: actually, yes--it is that pattern.

I think what the problem is that maybe I misunderstood something? I've asked other people and while they weren't able to fully help me, what they told me got me to thinking. So, when the pattern mentioned "working from the armhole edge," I thought that meant to do the binding off and decreasing from stich holder on the right side, which has 36 stitches. Now I think that what it meant was to do all that from the middle stitch holder, with 28 stitches (is this right?). So if that's the case, do I just bind off the stitches on my right stitch holder? That's where my next row starts, and I don't think I can bind off and decrease the stitches in the middle without doing so.

Thanks in advance to whoever can help me.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:15 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,422 Times in 3,101 Posts
This is working the back of the sweater? (Ignore the ETA comment that I made. I was misreading.)
As you work across the purl row, you put sts on a holder for the left shoulder, then on a holder for the center neck, and finally work the sts for the right shoulder. Your working yarn is attached to the right shoulder so you continue with that shoulder, do decreases at the neck edge (the edge nearest the center held sts). When you get to the shoulder shaping do the decreases at the armhole edge (the same edge that has the armhole decreases). These decreases should occur at the beginning of the knit rows as RK outlined above. You won't do any decreases on the sts on the middle holder. You'll work with those sts at the Back Neck Ribbing step.