Old 03-16-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
rrnettie
Casting On

Eastern European/Combination Style Question
Hi,
I have recently switched from English/Western knitting (throwing) which is the only way I had ever knitted. It was hurting my shoulders. I love this Eastern European/Combined way and the Continental way. I want to know how to cast on for a 2x2 rib stitch. I've been trying long tail but when I start the first row the purls are fine but it is too difficult to get the needle through the back of the knit stitches. Am I doing something wrong? I also tried switching the position of the knit stitches but no help. It is only on the first row after cast on that is the problem so I figure the real issue is the cast on itself. Hoping someone on here is knowledgeable about the Combination way and has an idea.
Thanks so very much
rrnettie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-16-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,296 Times in 2,982 Posts
I wonder if this version of long tail cast on would help?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdW0dpYywNQ
It uses the long tail in a knit and purl version that may make the knit sts easier to work into on that first row.
GrumpyGramma (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
rrnettie
Casting On

Thanks so much. This is the video that shows the style knitting that I like for ribbing. It is the combined or eastern european. It works well for the ribbing and such but I will switch to other styles for other projects as it requires too many adjustments when following patterns . http://w
ww.youtube.com/watch?v=xnPesmBWB-I

I just now found this on casting on and it is in a section that says help for combined knitting. I will try this. Thanks for all help on here.
http://www.gashihtzu.com/ProjectInsanity/knitting.html
rrnettie is offline   Reply With Quote