Old 03-16-2014, 04:01 AM   #1
talishao
Casting On

Tension help and beginner questions
Hello,

I am embarking on a jumper journey, but have only knitted a scarf once, a few years ago, and am confused by all of the instructions.
The pattern says the tension needs to be 21sts and 28 rows to 10cm over stocking stitch using 4.5cm needles. My wool says 22sts and 30 rows over 10cm to 4cm needles - does this equate, or does anyone know what size needles I should buy to get the equivalent?
How much does it matter if I use different tension/needles/wool to the final product?

The pattern then says after casting on, to do 11 rows garter st, then to change to a 4.5cm needle and do the first row as purl. How do I do 11 rows of garter and THEN the first row of purl? Haven't I already done the first row in garter? I'm a little bit confused!

It then goes on to say 2nd row knit, and that the last 2 rows form purl fabric. I don't understand this either :-/

Sounds like I'm in a little over my head, so if anyone can help that would be amazing! I'd really like to knit something other than a scarf this time.

Thanks!
talishao is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 AM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,379 Times in 3,062 Posts
Welcome to KnittingHelp!
Yarn weight and needle size affect the finished size of the sweater. Your yarn is fine for your project but you need to make a gauge swatch or tension square to find out how many stitches you get per inch. Cast on about 25sts and knit in stockinette (knit one row, purl one row) for about 10cm. Then measure the numbeer of sts you have over the middle 10cm (you don't want to include the end sts in this measurement since they're smaller). Change your needle size until you get close to 21sts/10cm. Don't worry about getting the correct number of rows in your tension square since the pattern probably gives measurement in cms anyway. There's a good discussion of gauge here, about halfway down the page.
The 11rows of garter are the edging on the sweater. the next row is the first row of the body of the sweater. Do the 11 rows of garter and then a purl row, a knit row and repeat these last 2 rows. Sounds like the side with the purl bumps (instead of the knit Vs) will be the outside or public side of the sweater.
The only way to begin reading patterns is to begin reading a pattern. You can do this and we'll all be happy to help.
justplaincharlotte (03-23-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
talishao
Casting On

Thank you so much!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #4
talishao
Casting On

Hello!
I have some more questions...

I have successfully completed my 11 rows of garter stitch (which said 1st row is wrong side... is this relevant, or can I just knit away without paying attention when it tells me things are right or wrong side?).
My next instructions are to change needles and do 1st row purl (right side) and then 2nd row knit. Then it says "last two rows form purl fabric. ** Cont in purl fabric until Back measures 44cm from beg, ending with a purl row. Using C2 for rem, purl 1 row (wrong side). **
Cont in purl fabric until Back measures 63cm from beg, ending with a knit row."

I'm just using the one colour, so do I just knit through to the 63cm with my one colour?
I'm also a little bit confused about the purl 1st row, knit 2nd row and then it saying cont in purl fabric and the specifying ending with a purl row. Is it telling me to alternate purl, knit for 63cm, or do 1 purl, 1 knit, and then just purl until I reach the right length? Also, does the 63cm mean from the beginning of the garter stitch, or from the first purl row?

So many questions!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
salmonmac
Mod Squad

When the pattern tells you right side (RS) or wrong side (WS), it's good to mark one of these sides for reference later in the pattern. For garter stitch, both sides look the same but for stockinette (knit one row, purl one row) the RS and WS will look different.

Continue alternating rows, purl one row, knit one row, purl one row and so on for 44cm measured from the beginning of the very first row of garter stitch..The side with the purl bumps will be the RS.

In addition to changing color at the 44cm mark, the stitch pattern is going to change. You end after working a purl row and then purl the next row.

Can you give us a link to the pattern or a pattern name?
talishao (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by talishao View Post
Hello!
I have some more questions...

I have successfully completed my 11 rows of garter stitch (which said 1st row is wrong side... is this relevant, or can I just knit away without paying attention when it tells me things are right or wrong side?).
My next instructions are to change needles and do 1st row purl (right side) and then 2nd row knit. Then it says "last two rows form purl fabric. ** Cont in purl fabric until Back measures 44cm from beg, ending with a purl row. Using C2 for rem, purl 1 row (wrong side). **
Cont in purl fabric until Back measures 63cm from beg, ending with a knit row."

I'm just using the one colour, so do I just knit through to the 63cm with my one colour?
I'm also a little bit confused about the purl 1st row, knit 2nd row and then it saying cont in purl fabric and the specifying ending with a purl row. Is it telling me to alternate purl, knit for 63cm, or do 1 purl, 1 knit, and then just purl until I reach the right length? Also, does the 63cm mean from the beginning of the garter stitch, or from the first purl row?

So many questions!
Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
When the pattern tells you right side (RS) or wrong side (WS), it's good to mark one of these sides for reference later in the pattern. For garter stitch, both sides look the same but for stockinette (knit one row, purl one row) the RS and WS will look different.

Continue alternating rows, purl one row, knit one row, purl one row and so on for 44cm measured from the beginning of the very first row of garter stitch..The side with the purl bumps will be the RS.

In addition to changing color at the 44cm mark, the stitch pattern is going to change. You end after working a purl row and then purl the next row.

Can you give us a link to the pattern or a pattern name?

When the instructions refer to 'Purl Fabric' they are using an old fashioned term for 'Reverse Stocking Stitch' (I'm guessing from the metric meaurements that you are using a UK or Commonwealth pattern)

I agree with Salmonmac that when changing colour at the 44cm mark they are asking you to do 2 consecutive purl rows, but I'm not sure, because of the reference to 'Purl fabric', if they want the next row (which will be on the right side) to be a knit row, so you will then be doing Stocking Stitch on the right side, or a purl row, so you will continue with Reverse Stocking Stitch and also have a neat colour change on the right side.

A link to the pattern or a picture will help clarify this.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
talishao (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
talishao
Casting On

The pattern is from a Patons Totem 8ply leaflet 0013.
Ahhh and I've just seen there's a little bit at the end that says if you're using one colour to omitt the section with the **.
So I guess I continue with the purl fabric or reverse stocking stitch for the whole 63cm.

Thanks so much! I'm sure I'll have more questions when I move on to the "Shape Shoulders and Back Neck" because that doesn't make any sense to me either!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
talishao
Casting On

Also, just to clarify, does the cm measurement include the garter stitching I did, or just from the purl fabric?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,088 Times in 2,599 Posts
As it says from the beginning, I'd measure from the cast on edge.

Is this it?

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:03 AM   #10
salmonmac
Mod Squad

I agree, measure from the cast on.

Sounds like this sweater in the same leaflet. Scroll about 2/3's of the way down the page to the pullovers.
http://wondoflex.com.au/Products/9093/take-2-totem