Old 03-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
Kevinnk
Casting On

Can someone please help me figure out what stitch this is?
I bought a really awesome slouchy hat a little while ago, and have been trying to dissect the stitch pattern for a long time now but I just can't seem to figure it out. UGH so frustrating!!! I think it's definitely some type of k1p1 but I could be wrong. It's like there's 2 stitches in one maybe? Can somebody please tell me what stitch this is or provide me the pattern for this? Or at least one that matches it the best? Please and thank you (: Pictures will be following this post!

Outside:
Inside:
Close up of inside(bottom)and outside(top):
Kevinnk is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Hello, and welcome.

The stitch look like a variation on Half Fisherman's Rib. Here's a link to one way of doing it:

http://www.knittingtipsbyjudy.com/ba...stitches2.html

However I think on your hat Row 1 (and every odd row) was worked as *k1, P1 rept from * to last st, K1.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dclutterchique For This Useful Post:
Kevinnk (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Kevinnk
Casting On

It does look similar, and I appreciate your input! Is there any other stitches you or anyone else thinks it could be? Because I'm just not sure if that's it or not...?
Kevinnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
It's probably machine knit so that makes it a little harder to identify.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I don't think this is knit at all. I believe it's crocheted. This is a Camel Stitch. The body of the hat seems to be done in a Camel Stitch using half double crochet. The top of the hat would either be a single crochet Camel Stitch or possibly slip stitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L4WPFhmzDg
Woofens (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 05:39 AM   #6
Dclutterchique
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs View Post
I don't think this is knit at all. I believe it's crocheted. This is a Camel Stitch. The body of the hat seems to be done in a Camel Stitch using half double crochet. The top of the hat would either be a single crochet Camel Stitch or possibly slip stitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L4WPFhmzDg
When I looked at the pictures my 1st thought was 'that's crochet', but when I saw the crown I came to the conclusion that it was 1x1 rib so the hat had to be knitted.

But now I've watched the video I revised my opinion and now think it is crochet.

I don't crochet, but my mum and sister knit and crochet, and this is the 1st time I've seen a crochet stitch that look so much like knitting.

FO: Downton Hat

A sweater of a thousand yards begins with a single stitch. Lao-tzu's Granny
Dclutterchique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

Oh, this stitch is beautiful. It's somewhat on the order of a brioche. The fabric is nice and thick and stretchy. I have a scarf started in the camel stitch that I've put aside. It's a hooded scarf and I can't get the hood the right size. It's my albatross that's been frogged countless times. One of these days, I'll rescue it from the closet and give it a new lease on life.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I believe you could recreate this for knitting by doing a brioche stitch for the bottom of the hat and switching to a k1, p1 rib for the top. The top in this picture is smaller than the body to allow it to conform to the shape of your head. When you're about a half inch from the finish at the the top, your decreases will be: First row, k2 tog, p2 tog all around. Second and third row, k1, p1 around. Fourth, k2 all around. Fifth, if needed, k2 all around. Draw through remaining loops, fasten off. Hide ends. This set of decreases comes out to about half an inch. You will want to do the math and figure out where you want to start with the k1,p1 rib. The hat length depends on what you want. Here in Wisconsin, we want hats that cover the ears. That will be about 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 inches. The ribbing would start, I believe, about 3/4 of the length you want your hat. I'd suggest a size 7 or 8 needle with a cast on about 100. Been a while since I've done Brioche. Is this an even number cast on or a multiple of 3? Does anyone remember?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
fatoldladyinpjs
Working the Gusset

I should add that I don't really have a pattern for this hat. I've just done so many that I remember it. I rarely use patterns. I know my gauge with the yarn I usually use and the crochet hook or knitting needle. I measure the person's head or get generic measurements online from size charts. Multiple head size by stitches per inch on my personal gauge and away we go. You will need to subtract an inch or so from your head size to allow for stretch. If you knit or crochet hats exactly to head size, what happens is they ride up or constantly twist on your head. You'll always be pulling on them and it gets to be annoying. If you wear a ponytail, you'll need your hat to be a little bigger and longer or it will ride up.

You'll have to measure your own head. I don't know if you're an average medium or have a honking big Oh, oh here comes BJ Raji (The Freezer) Packer nose tackle head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dO828YUmlg
Old 03-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
bambi
Working the Gusset

I second brioche! I have knit several scarves in it. Warm and lofty!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote