Old 03-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Boogaloo
Casting On

Help with increasing in knitting pattern!
Hello everyone!

I purchased a knitting kit from Aldi to make 'Bella the Bear', however I've found the pattern to be dreadful so far as it's not written very clearly.

Here's the section I'm stuck on:
-Cast on 20sts
-Knit 10 rows
-Continue in garter stitch, inc 1st st at each end of next row and every following 6th row until there are 34 sts on the needle (36 rows)

My question is, what inc should I use and should I k1 before I do the increase so there's a k1 at each end of the row? Or should I literally make a new stitch before I knit any of the existing stitches? (I hope that makes sense!) Usually when I increase I do m1 so I'd need to have already knitted a stitch to do that, and do to the last increase when there's 1 stitch left. Is there a way to inc without knitting a stitch first?

Later on in the pattern (for a different body part) there's a section that says "inc in next stitch, k5, inc in next stitch (4 times)". I don't understand what it means when it says 'inc in NEXT STITCH'?! Does this mean I have to k1 first?

Hope this makes sense, help will be appreciated
Boogaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,388 Times in 3,069 Posts
I would inc just as you say, a m1 one stitch in from each end.

When directions say to knit in a stitch you can do a knit front and back (kfb) or any increase that uses a stitch. Just make sure you count up the sts across the row to make sure that the stitch count comes our correctly.
Boogaloo (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
RochesterKnitter
Turning the Heel

I find that in garter stitch, doing a M1L before the last stitch of the row blends in well.

Alternatively, you could do a knit CO of 1 st at the start of the row.
RochesterKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RochesterKnitter For This Useful Post:
Boogaloo (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,098 Times in 2,608 Posts
Will this be seamed? I wouldn't have an increase in or before the first stitch if there will be a seam. I would do it after the first stitch, maybe in the second with a kfb. I tend to use kfb in GS but as pointed out, as long as your stitch count is right, use what works best for you.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
Boogaloo
Casting On

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Will this be seamed? I wouldn't have an increase in or before the first stitch if there will be a seam. I would do it after the first stitch, maybe in the second with a kfb. I tend to use kfb in GS but as pointed out, as long as your stitch count is right, use what works best for you.
Yes I will be seaming the bear when it's done, do you think doing the increase 1 stitch in is enough or shall I do 2 stitches first?

Thank you for your advice
Boogaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,098 Times in 2,608 Posts
Sorry, I really can't advise you. I can only tell you what I would do. I'll leave advice to those who really actually know what they're doing. I would do a stockinette edge stitch (knit one side, purl the other side) on both ends and do an kfb in the 2nd stitch or k1, m1 (whatever increase you choose to use) after the the edge stitch. I play fast and loose with patterns sometimes and have no problem saying, I don't like that way of doing this, so I recommend seeing what someone else suggests you do.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,388 Times in 3,069 Posts
I would do it one stitch in from each end. You can try 2sts in just to see how it goes but, one stitch should work well.