Old 04-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,640 Posts
Oh, the agony of it all

Crochet, knit, do you ever have the right yarn for either?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	No right yarn.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	57836  

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
claireweber (04-14-2014), jinxnit55 (04-07-2014), justplaincharlotte (04-04-2014), N0obKnitter (04-12-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
DogCatMom
Knitting the Flap

I have several small jars and two boxes (each approx. 8.5" x 11" x 4" deep) full of buttons suitable for shirts, blouses, and skirt/pants closures.

Several years ago, I had lost enough buttons from one of my favorite blouses so that all of them needed replacing. I think I needed 9 buttons: five down the front and two on each cuff.

I tried--really, I did--to use buttons from my relatively...ah...generous button stash! But I didn't have any buttons AT ALL that were the correct size, a suitable color, AND numerous enough for the job.

Result:
I had to buy...buttons.
DogCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

I have the same button problem but I think yours is bigger because you have more buttons. LOL Yeah, that's the way it goes. My nephew the carpenter is always buying nails and screws because none of the gazillions he already has are the right ones.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
Um no.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:24 AM   #5
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

This is one of my favorite things to do with those neat buttons where you only have one or two left on a card. I use the shank ones, but you *can* use the ones with holes.
Pick out about 25 of them. String them on an 8" piece of black cord elastic, the thickest you can get through the button's holes. If you're using a button with surface holes, go through from the bottom, across the top and down, threading on a pretty bead if you like. When all the buttons are on, knot securely to fit whatever wrist it's intended for and seal knot with a drop of waterproof fabric glue or Super Glue.
You'd be surprised how pretty these are. I always get compliments when I wear one (and usually wind up giving it away.)
GrumpyGramma (04-04-2014), jinxnit55 (04-07-2014), justplaincharlotte (04-04-2014), salmonmac (04-04-2014), Woofens (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I used to save all the extra buttons that come with shirts and clothes when you buy them new, but the one time I went looking for an extra button for one of those shirts, I couldn't find it.

There is not much point to saving the buttons if you *still* don't have one when you need it.

(I still save the buttons, out of habit, even though I'm pretty sure *now* that I'll never use them.)

Also, that picture is pretty cute and dead on! LOL
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sakura-panda For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

My granddaughter comes over and looks for buttons for things she makes. Sometimes she finds some she wants to use. She always has fun going through them. I remember going through my mother's buttons that she kept in a can. For some reason some kids really like doing that. I'll have to see if she wants to make bracelets. The other day she had the cat's collar on her wrist, she even wore it to school. LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
adichappo
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I used to save all the extra buttons that come with shirts and clothes when you buy them new, but the one time I went looking for an extra button for one of those shirts, I couldn't find it.

There is not much point to saving the buttons if you *still* don't have one when you need it.

(I still save the buttons, out of habit, even though I'm pretty sure *now* that I'll never use them.)
I also save the spare buttons that come with shirts. I've also noticed something else. Many of the new, wool knit sweaters that I buy at the stores will come with about 6 inches of spare yarn. What exactly am I supposed to do with that? My skills are no where near good enough to knit out a pull or a tear in a machine knit sweater? Has anyone tried? I think this is hilarious! (BTW I also save the spare yarn in their tiny plastic bags too - don't really know why...)
adichappo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adichappo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #9
GrumpyGramma
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by adichappo View Post
I also save the spare buttons that come with shirts. I've also noticed something else. Many of the new, wool knit sweaters that I buy at the stores will come with about 6 inches of spare yarn. What exactly am I supposed to do with that? My skills are no where near good enough to knit out a pull or a tear in a machine knit sweater? Has anyone tried? I think this is hilarious! (BTW I also save the spare yarn in their tiny plastic bags too - don't really know why...)
Maybe it's for sewing the buttons back on? I don't buy sweaters often so haven't encountered that. Not that I wouldn't buy a sweater but they rarely fit me even if I can afford them.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
usamacka
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to usamacka
First of all...WOW can I relate! During the cleaning out process and reorganizing of my knitting room, I have come to ONE conclusion. Use up all of my most expensive yarn first! So far....every project I have decided to knit, I am finding the yarn, but it is not my most expensive!I will add however, I do have several bags with pattern and yarns ready to go that I did buy with project in mind. I keep getting delayed for myself by finding things to knit for my granddaughter!!! BUT you are right NORMALLY you don't have the yarn you need. When I am perusing patterns now, it is usually with a yarn in mind.

When you mentioned button box, I immediately thought of that beautiful orange flowered round tin box my mother kept all of the extra buttons in. I could go through it for hours....the textures, the sizes, the colors. I could line them up...this must have been some one's great inspiration when Lego's came to be invented!
I heard GO GET ME A BUTTON FROM THE BUTTON BOX many times...It was a kind of GRRR moment...loving going in to it...loving looking for it...but then having the MISMATCHED button....although it always ended at the bottom of the shirt and my mom moved the bottom to the visible place. I bet others can relate to this too.
usamacka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to usamacka For This Useful Post:
justplaincharlotte (04-11-2014)