Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

FO's, finally, lol
Hi All! I haven't been around for awhile cause I just haven't had enough knitting time to produce anything - got involved in another project. The bits of time I did find finally got the job done though, lol.

I did the scarf because I'd never used a bulky yarn, or big needles, and wanted to give it a try, so picked up sale yarn at Michael's after Christmas. Didn't really enjoy it, but have to admit I'll love it next winter! After I started it, I realized how quickly the yarn gets used up and I wasn't going to have enough, so switched from my original plan of straight gs and did stockinette with gs border - still curls after blocking, but I don't think it'll matter, because it's to be worn underneath a jacket.

This is my first hat, and my first in-the-round project, so I found this really basic pattern. It worked out ok, a little bigger than I'd like - but I put in a row of eyelets because I was suspicious that might happen, the way the instructions were written - but I thought I should follow them exactly, since it was my first try. I figured I could thread an i-cord through if it turned out too big…hehe, I thought that was pretty sneaky It's a bit longer than it needed to be, which is ok - I can wear it rolled more, which puts the eyelets on the brim (I'll call it "design" haha) - or pulled down more, pushed back more - whatever - I look awful in hats anyway, but it'll be warm and a bit of colour.

If I'd knit it flat, I'd have blocked it before sewing - but how do you block a finished toque?

Thanks for looking, and I'd appreciate any help about the blocking -

Lynne
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030275.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	57890  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030300.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	57891  

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,197 Times in 2,698 Posts
Both are very nice! I like them a lot. I like your design plan of eyelets, good thinking. I did that on a hat for someone who might have gone bald but I don't think she ever needed to cinch in up. I dry hats on upside down mixing bowls, one had a saucer in the top to spread it to more of a disc shape so it was flatter on top. What fiber is your hat made of? If it's machine wash and dry you might get better results by just throwing it in the dryer.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:20 AM   #3
smeldsgang
Knitting the Flap

The hat and scarf are both very beautiful!!!!
smeldsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smeldsgang For This Useful Post:
IslandTime (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #4
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,467 Times in 3,143 Posts
Lots of great first time projects! Very nice looking scarf and a lovely hat. Yes, what a clever design feature those eyelets are. Enjoy wearing you hat and scarf next winter. (Just the thought of next winter is giving me chills.)

I block hats or jacket hoods by stuffing a towel into it and shaping them around it.
IslandTime (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
nonny2t
Instepping Out

They both look really great!
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nonny2t For This Useful Post:
IslandTime (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by salmonmac View Post
Lots of great first time projects! Very nice looking scarf and a lovely hat. Yes, what a clever design feature those eyelets are. Enjoy wearing you hat and scarf next winter. (Just the thought of next winter is giving me chills.)

I block hats or jacket hoods by stuffing a towel into it and shaping them around it.
Of course! Now why didn't I think of that? Not that a toque needs shaping, but I always think the sts look more smoothly finished, more "relaxed", after blocking. I've only done doll clothes up till now, and I always just spray them or dunk them under the tap then let them dry pinned to a thick towel. Seems to work ok.

Thanks for the tip!

Lynnw
Old 04-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
IslandTime
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma View Post
Both are very nice! I like them a lot. I like your design plan of eyelets, good thinking. I did that on a hat for someone who might have gone bald but I don't think she ever needed to cinch in up. I dry hats on upside down mixing bowls, one had a saucer in the top to spread it to more of a disc shape so it was flatter on top. What fiber is your hat made of? If it's machine wash and dry you might get better results by just throwing it in the dryer.
Hi GG, Yes it's just that Vanna's Choice, machine wash & dry, so I could do that. I like Salmonmac's idea though, don't you? I'm going to try just putting a small towel inside it - not shaping or stretching - then spray it like I always have. I think that should work really well. I'll wait for the summer heat and do it then - if I do it in the fall it might not dry till Christmas haha. Your idea of a bowl is good too though, it'd definitely be the best in the winter - would dry way faster.

Thanks!
Lynne
Old 04-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #8
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Both are delightful - well done!

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernIrelandKnitter For This Useful Post:
IslandTime (04-18-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 12:17 AM   #9
jinxnit55
Turning the Heel

Great! Love pink and gray colors together!
jinxnit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jinxnit55 For This Useful Post:
IslandTime (06-05-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 01:09 AM   #10
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,197 Times in 2,698 Posts
Originally Posted by IslandTime View Post
Hi GG, Yes it's just that Vanna's Choice, machine wash & dry, so I could do that. I like Salmonmac's idea though, don't you? I'm going to try just putting a small towel inside it - not shaping or stretching - then spray it like I always have. I think that should work really well. I'll wait for the summer heat and do it then - if I do it in the fall it might not dry till Christmas haha. Your idea of a bowl is good too though, it'd definitely be the best in the winter - would dry way faster.

Thanks!
Lynne
I like the towel idea too and if others use it successfully, I'll give it a try. If the hat isn't too wet when I stuff it, it will dry even here in the Pacific Northwest.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote