Old 05-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
XtopherCB
Turning the Heel

stitch visualizer?
been really on a roll lately, looking at different stitch sample sites. some great ideas out there with patterns, videos, etc.

unfortunately, haven't found a site yet where you can input your variables/pattern, and have it 'visualize' the stitches for you (ie, generate a picture).

anybody know of such a thing, or do i just have to wait for a star trek holodeck?
OTK: 10-stitch blanket that i'm not liking, modified arrowhead pattern scarf/cowl that i'm also not liking, more almost lost wash cloths, and SOCKS SoCkS sOcKs for the first time. and now 2nd time. and now 3rd time...
XtopherCB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XtopherCB For This Useful Post:
fderunus4 (05-29-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
Uhh...never heard of anything like that. Sounds interesting, get to work!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
XtopherCB (05-30-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
GrumpyGramma
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 3,193 Times in 2,695 Posts
Charts can sort of do it. You could draw it on graph paper. Get Scotty to beam you up.

Happiness is catching that dropped stitch while it's still fixable..

GrumpyGramma is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpyGramma For This Useful Post:
XtopherCB (05-30-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
XtopherCB
Turning the Heel

yeah... may have to study up on how to read/draw charts... the knitting charts i've seen so far are just a jumble to my untrained eye.
OTK: 10-stitch blanket that i'm not liking, modified arrowhead pattern scarf/cowl that i'm also not liking, more almost lost wash cloths, and SOCKS SoCkS sOcKs for the first time. and now 2nd time. and now 3rd time...
Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
XtopherCB
Turning the Heel

ha. ha-ha. ha-ha-ha. do it myself... ha.

actually, i kept looking further and found Knit Visualizer software from Knit Foundry (http://www.knitfoundry.com). it has a big paid version, but also free/limited-feature versions for both windows and mac. i downloaded the windows version and tried it out... tons of stitch options, grid sizes, color choices, instructional notes for insert, etc. it's less "here's what it could look like" and more "here's how to write a pattern for others that's Excel-based" than i'd hope for. what it does is help you create the stitch grid pattern, not actually create a picture.

so you'd still have to know what the symbols mean, and how to count them all out appropriately, etc. will take some learning on my part, but it's a start, and i thought i'd mention it here in case anybody who already knows how to create and read those patterns is interested in making their own for patterns and stitches they've created.

will update this as able if i DO find the 'dream sequence' kind i actually have in my brain...
The Following User Says Thank You to XtopherCB For This Useful Post:
salmonmac (05-31-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,463 Times in 3,140 Posts
Thanks, good to know about the program.
There's also a nice chart reading tutorial on the site.
http://www.knitfoundry.com/freestuff.html
Old 06-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
justplaincharlotte
Working the Gusset

Try the closest thing we have to a holosuite for knitting: stitch maps. Might be what you're looking for...

justcharlotte

All Needful Things Blog
"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." Except carpal tunnel.
- Elizabeth Zimmermann
justplaincharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justplaincharlotte For This Useful Post:
GrumpyGramma (06-02-2014), XtopherCB (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
XtopherCB
Turning the Heel

charlotte - i am gonna hug you and kiss you... or at least figure out how to knit some huggy arms and big red rolling stones lips... after just a little trial and error, i got stitch maps to work... posted what my pattern for my krazy kowl (from http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...91#post1403591) should look like in my ravelry projects: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Xtop...ris-krazy-kowl many many many thanks