Old 12-13-2004, 02:02 AM   #1
pianomagic
Casting On

Help! Extra Stitches
Hi!

I'm totally new to knitting, so this is probably a really stupid question. I'm trying to follow a pattern for the first time, and I cast on 45 stitches. Somehow, I end up with extra stitches on my needle. I looked down after a few rows, and there were 48 stitches on my needle! I believe I am adding one new stitch per row, or every other row. Is there any idea how I could be doing this?

I'm sorry, this is probably a really obvious, stupid question, but I'm a brand new beginner!

Thanks!
Natasha :-)
pianomagic is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 12-13-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome, Natasha!

You're probably doing one of two things:

On the purl rows, especially for Continental knitters, the first stitch can look like two stitches, because the yarn is pulling up both sides of the stitch below the working stitch, and you may think these are two stitches that each need knitting! I demonstrate this in the new Continental purling video that I'll be uploading today or late tonight.

Also, you may be forgetting to slip the old stitch off the old needle, and knit it again! I got caught on video doing this a couple of days ago (you'll see my error in the new video on Double Knitting that I'll be putting up tonight! LOL).

We welcome all questions, and that one's a great one!
Happy Knitting!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:54 PM   #3
pianomagic
Casting On

Re: Extra Stitches
Goodness, that was quick! And thank you, Amy! I was totally twisting the end of the row (beginning?) around to look like an extra stitch. Thanks! I'm just working on a little dishcloth, but it's challenging for me!

Thanks!
Natasha :-)
pianomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
LoriZubie
Casting On

Extra Stitch Too!
I am new to knitting and have not used the purl stitch yet but I've added one stitch to one side of my work on every row. The other side is fine. My scarf is going to be crooked!

Any clues???
LoriZubie is offline   Reply With Quote