Old 01-02-2005, 05:20 PM   #1
learning2knit
Casting On

Trouble with Double CO...the first stitch
I hope someone here can help me. I cast on using the Double CO method explained on this site. All goes well until I get to the first stitch after I've worked the first row. I'm not sure how to knit it....it looks like two loops with one "noose". So I grab both loops and knit, but then I end up with a humongous loop....sometimes 2 inches long. I'm not sure if this makes any sense.....I'm basically confused with the very first cast on stitch. Any pointers?

I've sat here for 2 hours and haven't a row....while my 11 yo started at the same time and has half of her scarf made!! Yes, I've asked her for help, but she casts on and knits with a different method.

Thanks for any help!!
Lynnea
learning2knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-02-2005, 11:19 PM   #2
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes, that's what the stitch will do. You're right to treat both loops below the "noose" as one stitch. The single loop that is above the noose is the actual stitch, but those two loops below, which is both sides of the stitch from the row below, like to get in the way.

Keeping the outside edges of the knitting neat is a perennial problem. Some people like to work the edge stitches tightly, to try to keep them from getting too loose. Or they just ignore it. Others do this:

Slip the first stitch of every row.

This will give you a "chain" selvage. It looks nice and neat, and is especially great on things like scarves. What it does, is takes that loose stitch, and stretches it up, so that it span two rows. It's only worked once, every two rows, so it's not floppy. And it gives a nice chain look on the edge.

Good luck!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 01:36 AM   #3
learning2knit
Casting On

slip stitch?
Thanks for the reply, but I was wondering what it means to slip the first stitch? Is there a post or video for this? I'm working with a boa yarn, so the edges are hidden anyway, but for another project I'm sure this will come in handy.

My daughter has completed one scarf already and is almost done with a second. She is getting orders from ladies at church!!:-)

Thanks again....love the site!!
Lynnea
learning2knit is offline   Reply With Quote