Old 01-20-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
Frank
Casting On

Increasing
According to a course I am now taking there is one stitch you should not increase in. Can anyone tell me which one it is? Need answer to finish course.
Thanks, Frank :(

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
Marnie
1st Leg of the Journey

The only thing I can think of is that you should not work a lifted increase in a lifted increase.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome Frank!

Hmm, that is a toughy. Yeah, like Marnie says, I try to avoid increasing twice in the same stitch, because it creates a hole.

The only other thing I can think of, is increasing in a stitch you've just decreased, because "what would be the point." But of course, I've seen it done for a neat effect. IMHO, there's really no "nevers" in knitting! There's always those times when you break the "rules," either for effect, or for convenience.

Let us know what the "correct" answer turns out to be! Now you've got us curious!

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
Marnie
1st Leg of the Journey

Well, the particular increase that I'm refering to is the one where you knit a stitch and the stitch BELOW it. You are not supposed to work one on top of the other because you'd basically work an increase with a stitch 2 rows down instead of one which would result in a rippled fabric.

See the Lifted Increase on this page:
http://www.wonderful-things.com/newknit4a.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Marnie, do you mean that if you worked it in the previous row or two, you're not supposed to work it right above it on this row? Ahh yes, I think I get you now. I think you have the correct answer!

I tried doing that once, using that increase along the edge of a small project (I was making a knit heart, from the bottom up), and it gave a very tight edge along the side of the heart. I did the increase every other row, so it didn't ripple, but it was definitely tight and pulled in, and I determined not to use that increase again in that way!

Frank, FYI, two more samples of this kind of increase are KLL and KRL on this site's increases page. Their biggest advantage, that I know of, is that you can do the two side by side, for a double increase, that won't create a hole in the knitting.

Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote