Old 01-28-2005, 12:59 AM   #1
glmsbrt69
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to glmsbrt69 Send a message via MSN to glmsbrt69 Send a message via Yahoo to glmsbrt69
Help! I am new and feel really stupid.....
Ok well I taught myself how to knit. Yippeee. :| I am very much still a beginner, but I "get it". Well, most of the time. So here is my question ~ problem: When knitting with 5 or more different balls of yarn, what do you do with them to keep them from getting all twisted around eachother? I have 2 dogs and a cat, and not a stitch of carpet in my house, so just lying them on the floor is out of the question. I had tried them in a small basket, but I think it was too small, anyhow it was a pain bcz you had to make sure you turned the basket the right way everytime you turned your needles. So I thought maybe just letting them have a party in a laundry basket? Would this work? Help, suggestions......anything.....PLEASE!! I am about ready to forget I ever taught myself to knit.
Thanks! ~*~DM~*~

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-28-2005, 01:47 AM   #2
Kiri
Ribbing the Cuff

I store my yarn in a big Rubbermaid tub, but pull it out when knitting.

When knitting with several yarns at once I take over the couch (or bed) and use my legs as dividers (works for three yarns).

For more than three yarns I just stop and de-twist them every so often as I go.
Kiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:14 AM   #3
glmsbrt69
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to glmsbrt69 Send a message via MSN to glmsbrt69 Send a message via Yahoo to glmsbrt69
OK, well I guess there really is no actual "way" to do it. But taking over the couch from my husband and dogs.....haha. :o Guess I should buy another.
Oh ya...I keep my yarn in one (or two or three..ect..) of those Rubbermaid Tubs too. I also have a bunch of little ones. I consider them my "project baskets". But lemme tell ya, it is not very easy to put 5 huge things of yarn in them, they fit very snugly. Kind of a good thing, bcz if it gets knocked over or mysteriously jumps off the bed, all your yarn stays put.
I am still open to any other ideas :idea: or suggestions people may have though.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:45 AM   #4
Egeria
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Egeria Send a message via Yahoo to Egeria
Well you could stick each ball in a seperate smaller rubbermaid tub, then just shift them around while you knit. When I knit with two or more balls I put each ball in a seperate bag.

That's one idea!
Old 01-28-2005, 05:28 AM   #5
glmsbrt69
Casting On

Well that would kind of be the same as just putting them on the floor, except more hassle to rotate each basket. :? The only reason I do not just put them on the floor is bcz they would just collect fur, and my cat would probably have way too much fun. So I guess there is no real easy way to do it then....yikes...o'well.
Thanks again! :P
Old 01-28-2005, 09:11 AM   #6
Carie
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to Carie
Tangled yarn
I read your ? differently and maybe this will help.

When you are using several colors at a time, you shouldn't work with the whole ball of each color (unfortunatly). You wrap a bunch around a clothespin and put the end in the "mouth" of the clothespin. That's called a bobbin. They are much lighter and more manageable than whole balls of yarn. You just let them dangle on the wrong side of your garment until you are ready for them.

Is that right (anyone who is a more experienced knitter than I)?

I am learning the hard way by trying to change colors using circular needles. What was I thinking????

HTH

Carie
Old 01-28-2005, 10:18 AM   #7
glmsbrt69
Casting On

I have considered that, I actually bought yarn bobbins. It is just that you never know exactly how much to put on the bobbin so you do not run out in the middle. Oh, and ya...I would be using a circular needle too. :o Ugh, I don't know if I even want to do this pattern anymore. I LOVE checkerboard, and it is a pillow and an afghan pattern. I figured I would attempt the pillow first before trying the afghan. It is all done in knit so I thought it would be pretty simple. It seems to be turning out the opposite. :(
I have considered just doing a row at a time and then sewing the whole thing together, I just do not know how durable that would be or how it would look essentailly. :?
Maybe I should just stick to my hearts. :? At least I can do those. :|
Old 01-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #8
Carie
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to Carie
How much yarn on bobbins
I don't know if this works for knitting, but I've read a "tip" when casting on to wrap yarn around the needle as many times as stitches you will need (i.e., if you need to cast on 100 stitches, wrap the yarn around the needle 100 times to see how much yarn you need to cast on). Maybe that will help you estimate with your bobbins.

Can you switch to straight needles and continue from there?

Carie
Old 01-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #9
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

It sounds like you're working back and forth on circular needles, right? So that's fine with intarsia.

You're doing a checkerboard pattern you say? If you're hating the pillow, I don't know how much fun you're going to have with the afghan, and ten times the balls of yarn! ....

If it's small checker-board, what I would do is just work with a few yards of yarn at a time, so they could be easily untangled by pulling the strand straight out of the mess every now and then. If you're using wool, you can use a felt join to easily join new yarn when you need to.

Also, if it's small checkerboard (max. 5 stitches wide), you could to the pillow in fair-isle. That would solve all your problems! Might not look as good for the reverse side of the afghan, and it would use up more yarn than intarsia, but it might be worth it.

Good luck.
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:49 PM   #10
glmsbrt69
Casting On

Thanks. It is not really small, it is 11 sts and 22 rows on size 10 needles. Ah, and yes the pillow is 5 balls of yarn and the afghan is 12. Woohooo....what the heck was I thinking? :?