Old 02-03-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
Beth
Ribbing the Cuff

Could someone help me with this patterns instructions
I'm a bit confussed. This pattern calls for you to knit until you reach 10 1/2 inches, then I'm confussed on how you decrease. I'm not sure what the * means. What I'm understanding is you knit two together until you have 36 sts, then it reads to knit across another row, then do you only decrease one other row to have 24 sts on the needle? It would seem that you would decrease until you had only a few sts on the needle.
I would so much appreciate anyones help in this.
Thanks you
Beth

Beginning at bottom brim of hat, cast on 72 sts.

Knit across each row until length from beginning is 10 inches.

Top decrease - Work * knit 2 together * across row, repeating between *'s across.
( 36 sts )
Knit across next row.
Last row - * K 1, K next 2 sts together *, repeating between *'s across row. ( 24 sts).

Cut yarn, leaving about 25 inch length. Thread sewing needle with the end of this length, and draw through remaining sts. Pull to close top of hat, then fasten on inside of hat.

Sew down back seam , leaving last 2 inches unsewn. Turn up cuff of hat, then sew seam on inside of this remaining 2 inches. This way, you will not see the seam of the cuff, the seam will be on the inside of cuff, when cuff is turned upwards. Fasten off.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-03-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: Could someone help me with this patterns instructions
I think I get it :? ... my type in red

Originally Posted by Beth
I'm a bit confussed. This pattern calls for you to knit until you reach 10 1/2 inches, then I'm confussed on how you decrease. I'm not sure what the * means.

" * " signifies the point at which you begin a repeat.

What I'm understanding is you knit two together until you have 36 sts, then it reads to knit across another row, then do you only decrease one other row to have 24 sts on the needle? It would seem that you would decrease until you had only a few sts on the needle.

If you decrease until you had only a few stitches, the hat would be very pointy at the top. But threading a tail through the 24sts gives you a less pointy top.
I would so much appreciate anyones help in this.
Thanks you
Beth

Beginning at bottom brim of hat, cast on 72 sts.

Knit across each row until length from beginning is 10 inches.

Top decrease - Work * knit 2 together * across row, repeating between *'s across.
( 36 sts )
You are right ... just knit 2 together all the way across the row. This will cut your total stitch count in half.

Knit across next row.
Last row - * K 1, K next 2 sts together *, repeating between *'s across row. ( 24 sts).

This means to K1, then K2tog, K1, K2tog, K1, K2tog... You are basically repeating the instructions that appear btw the " * "

Cut yarn, leaving about 25 inch length. Thread sewing needle with the end of this length, and draw through remaining sts. Pull to close top of hat, then fasten on inside of hat.

This is where you must thread the yarn tail through the remaining sts on the needle to give you a closed end... as opposed to binding off, which would give you a flat side.

Sew down back seam , leaving last 2 inches unsewn. Turn up cuff of hat, then sew seam on inside of this remaining 2 inches. This way, you will not see the seam of the cuff, the seam will be on the inside of cuff, when cuff is turned upwards. Fasten off.
I hope that helps :?

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
Beth
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you so much, I had an idea and you confirmed it for me!
I very very much appreciate your help!
Beth :D
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote