Old 02-11-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
nani
Casting On

Advice on baby blanket
I've recently discovered the joys of knitting. What pleasure! So far, I've finished a scarf and a baby sweater. Now I'd like to knit a blanket for a friend's newborn. Since it'll be 24''X18" I've been advised to use circular needles, which I've never used before. I can't get my head around how you use circulars for a rectangular design. I understand how to use circulars to form tube designs, but a rectangle? What am I not getting here? Thanks a bunch.

Also, if anyone has knitted a simple pattern they particularly loved, please share.
nani is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
bobbiinbrooklyn
Casting On

nani, it is very simple. You use your circular needles as if they were straights. So, if you were to cast on 100 stitches for your blanket, you would not join the last and first stitch. You just turn your work, as if you were on straights and knit (or whatever your stitch pattern is) the first row. Hope this makes sense
bobbiinbrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #3
nani
Casting On

Thanks!!
That makes sense! Thank you and to Amy for creating this amazing site and bringing so many knitters together. LOVE your videos Amy.
nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: Advice on baby blanket
Originally Posted by nani
Also, if anyone has knitted a simple pattern they particularly loved, please share.
How about these? I haven't actually made these, but that's ok :D. I once made a basketweave stitch similar to the last one. The pattern is easy and I finished it in about two weeks.

This one
or
This one
or
This one
or
This one
or
This one
or
This one

Hope that helps