Old 02-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
jkik2478
Casting On

Scarf help!
Hi,

I'm a beginner and I have a questions about knitting a scarf. I want to have "V" design on both sides of the scarf. How can I do this?

Thanks!
jkik2478 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-21-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
What do you mean by "V"? Stockinette by chance?

If so, then you could make your scarf double the desired width and then fold it and seam up the sides, top, and bottom.

Or you could knit it in the round and seam the top and bottom.

Hope that helps!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Only with Double Knitting, which I wouldn't recommend if this is one of your first projects. You could also do circular knitting, but it would create a hollow tube, not a single flat piece.

An alternative might be to work it in k1, p1 ribbing. It contracts to look basically like V's on both sides. Use needles that are 2 sizes smaller than recommended for your yarn, when working ribbing.

FYI, all of these techniques will require twice as much knitting to get the same size scarf as one knit in garter stitch or seed stitch. ...and remember to avoid doing your scarf in stockinette stitch, because it will curl.

Hope that helps!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:14 PM   #4
jkik2478
Casting On

Hi,

By "V" I mean that each individual stitch looks like a "V" (not a 'V' pattern).

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
jkik2478
Casting On

Hi,

One more (dumb) question. When you say K1, P1 - does that mean Knit one row, then Purl one row. Or does it mean knit one stitch, and purl one stitch?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by jkik2478
Hi,

One more (dumb) question. When you say K1, P1 - does that mean Knit one row, then Purl one row. Or does it mean knit one stitch, and purl one stitch?

Thanks
I think she means K1 stitch, P1 stitch

But I could be wrong ....

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
Anne
Knitting the Flap

Hi, There is no such thing as a dumb question. If you don't know then ask that's how we learn.

When i started to knit i ask the same question that you ask and a lot more.

Happy Knitting and let us know how your scarf turned out.
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes, jk, that's the kind of V's I'm talking about. It sounds like you may be thinking of stockinette stitch, but that actually doens't have V's on the back, only on the front. You don't want to use it for a scarf, because it will curl.

Check out the Basic Techniques/ More page, for videos that show and describe how to make stockinette stitch, ribbing, and other basic stitches.

My suggestion was to do ribbing. Knit a stitch, then purl a stitch, repeat over an even number of stitches.

Happy knitting!
Amy

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:57 PM   #9
Yvonne
Turning the Heel

This thread reminds of a week or two ago when there was a thread about someone's stockinette scarf curling.
I had suggested tubular knitting to eliminate curl and to have it look like stockinette on both sides. Tubular, not circular, knitting is what I meant. I learned how to do this in the Reader's Digest Handbook of Knitting (this was the same book we were looking at for double-stitch, too, remember?)
Anyway, with tubular knitting, it is done with just one ball of yarn. The bottom and sides remain closed, as will the top edge at the time of bind off. It produces a double-thickness fabric, so in that way it is like double knitting. However, if you use this technique you can make a scarf that is double thickness, stockinette on both sides, and non-curling. All this without the hassle of keeping track of two balls of yarn, or even worse, making a scarf twice the regular length, folding in half and seaming (ugh).
I think I put the instructions in one of my posts in that thread. I tried out a swatch of it myself, and it's really cool. Basically, you slip every other stitch as if to purl, with the yarn in front. You knit the alternate stitches. On the other row you knit the ones that were slipped and slip the ones that were knit on the previous row.
While it's not exactly a beginner technique, it's very, very useful!
I suppose one could make a bag doing this, because just for fun I pulled my needle out of my swatch to see what was happening. Up to the point of binding off at the end, you basically have a bag. If the bindoff was done on alternate stitches on the first bind-off row, then another row of binding off, I thiiiiiiiiiiiiiink it would result in one end being open.
But we were talking about scarves and I went off on a tangent, didn't I?
Anyway, try this tubular knitting if you're interested. It's fun.

Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:02 PM   #10
jkik2478
Casting On

Thanks for your tips! For my first project I'm doing a scarf in garter stitch. The next one will be the "V" (k1, p1). I appreaciate your help!!!