Old 02-25-2005, 10:45 PM   #11
Flappy
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by amy
What'cha working on, Flappy?
Well, I'm a newbie knitter, so I'm still working away on scarves.

So far, I've made:
1. An garter stitch scarf that's about four feet long by a foot wide.
2. A fetching lengthwise garter stitch scarf in wool-- one long blue stripe and one long green stripe.
3. This bad boy in dark blue: http://tinyurl.com/6mo4r
4. This hot momma as pictured: http://tinyurl.com/5byoa
5. A schizophrenic "bag lady" scarf made up in crazy mixed patterns and colors.
6. And right now, I'm working on a keyhole scarf in ice blue cotton and brown wool.

I highly recommend #3 as a second project for new knitters. Yes, the yarn is (very) expensive, but it's easy to knit and very soft.

Ok, I'll drop the chicknits questions for now. I like the idea of knitting gangs, though. Let me know if you want me to do a drive-by bind-off on that @%&*#.
Flappy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-25-2005, 11:10 PM   #12
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by amy
DH and I have been listening to an audio book of The DaVinci Code. We're on the last section tonight! It's a fun book.
Oooh, I have read the illustrated version and just loved it. Inspired by the book, I am just about to dig into "The Pagan Christ" by Tom Harpur. Did you read Angels & Demons first? That's where the main character, Robert Langdon, starts. You can read DVC on its own, but get a better character background on him by reading A&D first. I recommend going to danbrown.com after you are finished the book and checking out his website. Very powerful stuff over there about each of his books.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 01:02 AM   #13
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Oooh, Beldaraan, thanks for the tip! I'll have to check out the first book. I'm glad to hear he uses the same character. I love a good series. It's so sad when you read a good book, and that's all there is for the characters you've become attached to! Although, I think in this case, I was more attached to the action than the characters. Not exactly a character-driven book. But a fun action-filled plot. Just my cup of tea at the moment.

I'll check out the web site. I took a peak at it before, but I didn't want to look too hard, for fear of giving something away! Is it safe to look at the site for the other book? Or is there stuff given away for that book too?

I need to get my hands on a real copy of the DVC. My audio book had a couple of skips in it, and Langdon's final words to the bad-guy were totally garbled! (Doh!)

Flappy, "a drive-by bind-off?!" ROFL, you're too funny!!!
Those projects look great. I'm always interested to hear about what projects a new knitter likes. I've been thinking it would be fun to put together a "Brand New Knitters" pattern package, with a handful of projects for the brand new knitter, to offer on this site. When I've got the DVD done maybe. Ohhh, so many projects for this site I want to do!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 01:07 AM   #14
Roxanne
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Roxanne
Oh dear Amy...so sorry!! Have you posted somewhere a list of those we can't link to? I remember you mentioning that about the free patterns. I don't want to make you do extra work of editing our comments and if I know who not to link to, I won't do it. I'll search around on the forums...you probably have posted it somewhere!
Gifts for Fiber Enthusiasts: http://yarngiftbouquets.com
Roxanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 01:34 AM   #15
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Roxanne, it's fine! I actually haven't mentioned it anywhere, so you've not missed anything. I haven't mentioned it, because I don't want to announce it on a loud speaker, because I'm afraid it might be negative advertising for the chicknits lady. So I'm trying to be subtle about it. I'm honestly not sure what the best way to go about it is. I don't want to raise any more eyebrows than necessary. I just wanted to explain why I had to remove the link. It's a bizarre request she's made. I've had a few bizarre requests. Another woman didn't want me to send her traffic by linking to her free patterns, because she was close to her bandwidth limit, and didn't want to pay more for the added traffic! (Even though she was selling products on her site, and it seems that traffic would be a good thing...?! People can be funny.) Anyway, I'm sure it makes perfect sense in Chicknit-lady's mind. I don't really understand her reasoning, but she didn't seem negotiable on the topic, so I'm just trying to obey her wishes.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 01:49 AM   #16
Roxanne
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Roxanne
Okay Amy, I hear you! It's a sensitive topic and somewhat private and I know you want to respect that and be respectful to the other party too so no need for neon lights on who to link to and not link to

I understand...I sure do know how hard it can be to diffuse difficult situations.
Gifts for Fiber Enthusiasts: http://yarngiftbouquets.com
Roxanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 01:06 PM   #17
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by amy
I'll check out the web site. I took a peak at it before, but I didn't want to look too hard, for fear of giving something away! Is it safe to look at the site for the other book? Or is there stuff given away for that book too?
Read the book(s) first!!! He has a section with extra information for each of his books. For the DVC, he has two challenges (detective work) that you can do. You get to find out what his next book involving this series will be about. I've done both of them and they were great fun.

Here's one of my favourite comments from his site in the FAQ section:

Quote:
Much of the positive response I get from within organized religion comes from nuns (who write to thank me for pointing out that they have sacrificed their entire lives to the Church and are still considered "unfit" to serve behind the altar).
If you want to discuss DVC and A&D, after you've read it, feel free to PM me. I love talking about both of these books and the thoughts that they bring to light.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote