Old 03-05-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
knittingnanna
Casting On

help knitting a diamond shape
I am trying to knit a diamond shape and I can't figure it out for the life of me. I need it done in stocking stich and to start with 1 stitch and to increase 2 stiches on every row till there are 13 stitches then I have to decrease 2 stitches every row until 1 stitch remains. I know it sounds simple but it just won't work for me, I can't find a increase that does not make holes in the work. I am getting so frustrated because I have tried and tried again with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
knittingnanna is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-05-2005, 11:25 PM   #2
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
Amy has a FABULOUS illustration of different increases here:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...s/increase.php

The similar decrease page is justy one more click away.

You can see what each inc/dec should look like and you can pick an "un-holey" one.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
Holly
Knitting the Flap

If I recall, I think knitting into the front and back of the stitch is one increase that doesn't leave a hole in the work. I believe Amy has a video of this technique -- you start to knit as usual, and then, without completing the stitch by dropping it off the needle, you re-insert your needle into the back of the stitch and knit as usual (dropping the stitch off). The result is two loops created (the increase!).

The Stitch N Bitch book has a chapter on increasing and decreasing which gives good explanations of all the types and when you would use certain types.

Holly
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote