Old 03-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #11
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

My nails have been weak for years; soft, ridged, and prone to peeling (!) not breaking off. This has always driven me crazy and I've tried everything from nail polishes that help strengthen, to nail polishes that actually have fiberglass strips in it to create a shield of fiberglassy goodness.

As it happens, I'm also hypoglycemic - sort of the other extreme from diebetes. This has caused me to radically change my diet to keep from passing out every four hours from low blood sugar crashes...

Since the dietary change and having to change my eating schedule to something WAY more regular, my nails have grown in hard and strong. This is even with working as a veterinary nurse where I wash my hands a gazillion times a day; even when my hands are dry and cracking, my nails still look/feel/are great. My diet is a bit extreme for the average person, but really it's just an extreme version of "eating right" - little to no sugar, lots of healthy protein (not fatty protein carrying foods), lots of leafy greans (the hardest part), and a very moderated carb intake. One of the only things that is different for me than from other people is that I can't really eat fruit because of it's sugar content.

One other thing I've learned is that nail polishes can actually degrade your nails too; you have pores in your nails just like the rest of your skin and blocking them with chemicals can cause their own porblems. Even with the strength my nails have now, if I wear nailpolish, they will begin to fall appart after a few weeks of nail polish (which is a bummer because I love nailpolish).
yellowness is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: Day One to Repair my Nails
Originally Posted by beldaraan
Ok, I have THE worst nails. They are soft and see-through and they split, "feather", and I get hang nails too. One of them even looks like it's on its way to becoming ingrown.

What does this have to do with knitting? Not a lot, except that the yarn catches on my horrible nails all of the time!!! (Amy, I noticed your nails in the videos and they look soooo nice).

I went to a pharmacy tonight and put on my saddest "I need help" look on my face. A couple minutes later, hook line and sinker, I've got myself a nice lady (with nice nails ) to help me. A little research on the net as well, and I'm stocked with nail recovery (and care) products.

It takes 6 months for a nail to grow out. Today is day one.
My nails are among the healthiest parts of my body. I started taking Biotin daily over a year ago. My nails have always been pretty healthy, but I could still definitely notice a difference in the strength and appearance of my nails within a month of taking Biotin.

Also, when you file your nails, you should always go WITH the grain of your nail. Never file to and fro like you're sawing your nail. Start at the base of the nail (whichever side), then gently file down and away with a slight curve at the end. Do this to the other side of the base. Continue until your nail has the shape that you like. Box nail shapes are generally stronger than rounded nails, so if you normally file to a round ... try a box. For hangnails, try massaging some oil (jojoba or carrot oil, for example) into your nails and cuticle. The oil should soften the skin around the nail. You might want to invest in some Nail Nippers. They make clipping hangnails a breeze

Hope that helps some ...

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:09 PM   #13
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I'm so glad we're talking about this, because I've been fretting about shooting my upcoming DVD, and really wanting my nails to be nice for it. (You know, my hands are going to be gargantuan on people's big TV screens...)

The Gel overlay is just a clear coating, right? I know acrylic extensions totally ruin the natural nail. Gel overlays aren't quite that bad, are they?

I do notice that nail polish, or at least nail polish remover, makes my nails more prone to breaking. But I figure it can't get any worse at this point :rollseyes:, so I'm trying anything!

I already bought some stuff by Nutra Nail called "Power Gel." It's a two-step process, where you coat with one bottle, and then use an "activator" which mixes and is supposed to make them extra tough. It says it makes them "Hard as Wraps," whatever "Wraps" are. --is that the same as a gel overlay? (I've never had a real professional manicure, so this is all new to me!)

Kelly, I'll probably try the stuff I have, since I already have it. But you've got me really curious about the Nail Magic. Maybe I'll do one hand in this, and one hand in that, and compare them!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:12 PM   #14
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
OOoooohhh....Quality Control Research! FUN!!!!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #15
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by amy
I'm so glad we're talking about this, because I've been fretting about shooting my upcoming DVD, and really wanting my nails to be nice for it. (You know, my hands are going to be gargantuan on people's big TV screens...)

The Gel overlay is just a clear coating, right? I know acrylic extensions totally ruin the natural nail. Gel overlays aren't quite that bad, are they?

I do notice that nail polish, or at least nail polish remover, makes my nails more prone to breaking. But I figure it can't get any worse at this point :rollseyes:, so I'm trying anything!

I already bought some stuff by Nutra Nail called "Power Gel." It's a two-step process, where you coat with one bottle, and then use an "activator" which mixes and is supposed to make them extra tough. It says it makes them "Hard as Wraps," whatever "Wraps" are. --is that the same as a gel overlay? (I've never had a real professional manicure, so this is all new to me!)

Kelly, I'll probably try the stuff I have, since I already have it. But you've got me really curious about the Nail Magic. Maybe I'll do one hand in this, and one hand in that, and compare them!
Try this stuff. It was originally designed for horse hooves, but it's so good that people started using it. It makes your nails really shiny too! I think you can get it at Sally's or Walgreens.

If I remember correctly, wraps are reinforcements make of a thin mesh (not sure of what though, maybe acrylic) and a chemical that "liquifies" the mesh to the nail. Sand and Buff and you have a stronger nail.

There's also Fiberglass. I've had fiberglass nails done. It's just as much upkeep as acrylic, but it looks more natural and it's a he!! of a lot shinier!. Unfortunately, none of these proceedure stick to my nails. They all peel completely off withing a week. (I can't even polish my nails with regular fingernail polish; it peels within a couple days no matter what the "quality" of polish it is). I guess my nails are so strong that they reject everything Or my nails just have an attitude problem ... :rofling: My mother went to cosmo school, so I was a lab rat for a time and of all the nail procedures, I liked the Fiberglass outcome the best.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #16
beldaraan
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ekgheiy
Box nail shapes are generally stronger than rounded nails, so if you normally file to a round ... try a box.
Rounding your nails can cause ingrown nails (another pregnancy induced symptom :rollseyes: ) I prefer the look of round, but have changed to the boxier, square look. Ingrown nails are not pleasant.

Originally Posted by Amy
I do notice that nail polish, or at least nail polish remover, makes my nails more prone to breaking.
Absolutely correct. I have heard that there are polish removers out there that do not have acetone in them and that's the main ingredient that's not good for your nails. You might just have to suck it up for a while and have bad nails until your nails grow out. Just be sure to have a protective coating of nail hardener on them.

Or, since we're all excited for your new videos, go get the gel nails. They are more expensive to upkeep, but you get nice nails quicker and we get more videos quicker.
beldaraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #17
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by ekgheiy
Box nail shapes are generally stronger than rounded nails, so if you normally file to a round ... try a box.
Rounding your nails can cause ingrown nails (another pregnancy induced symptom :rollseyes: ) I prefer the look of round, but have changed to the boxier, square look. Ingrown nails are not pleasant.

Originally Posted by Amy
I do notice that nail polish, or at least nail polish remover, makes my nails more prone to breaking.
Absolutely correct. I have heard that there are polish removers out there that do not have acetone in them and that's the main ingredient that's not good for your nails. You might just have to suck it up for a while and have bad nails until your nails grow out. Just be sure to have a protective coating of nail hardener on them.

Or, since we're all excited for your new videos, go get the gel nails. They are more expensive to upkeep, but you get nice nails quicker and we get more videos quicker.
If you get gels or acrylics or fiberglass or whatever you will NEED to get acetone free polish remover; the acetone will dissolve the materials (gels, acrylics etc.)

I totally understand!! I've never had any ingrowns on my hands, but I had one on my toe when I was younger. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE!!!