Old 03-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #11
Newbird
Casting On

Pull Out Skein Wrapping!!!
Hi, Pat...

I've learned a couple of ways that end up with a Pull-Out Skein, but I think your idea of tucking the yarn end into a large pill bottle and then just wrapping around the bottle is the best I've heard! I can hardly wait to try it!

Thanks!!!

Barb

Originally Posted by bubba
I have done all of mine (three to date) at work. I put the hank around the arms of an office chair. The first I wound straight into a ball which made me cranky and took a long time. The second I talked someone else into doing! The last one, I again put it around the arms of an office chair (which really works quite well!), then I tucked the end of the yarn into a large pill bottle and started wrapping. When I was done, I had a pull out skein!! Woo-Hoo!!!!

I then found out about swifts and searched on line till I found one at a reasonable price and ordered it. I figured since I had a ball winder from years past, it was only the right thing to do!

pat.
Newbird is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-12-2005, 12:37 PM   #12
Newbird
Casting On

Oooops...Swifts???...Ball Winders????
Oooops...

What are "swifts"? I don't have a ball winder outside of myself, but would be interested...are "swifts" something to put on a ball winder to wrap into pull-out skeins?

Barb

Originally Posted by bubba
I have done all of mine (three to date) at work. I put the hank around the arms of an office chair. The first I wound straight into a ball which made me cranky and took a long time. The second I talked someone else into doing! The last one, I again put it around the arms of an office chair (which really works quite well!), then I tucked the end of the yarn into a large pill bottle and started wrapping. When I was done, I had a pull out skein!! Woo-Hoo!!!!

I then found out about swifts and searched on line till I found one at a reasonable price and ordered it. I figured since I had a ball winder from years past, it was only the right thing to do!

pat.
Newbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:35 PM   #13
bubba
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by wildforyarn
Okay Pat, where did you find one reasonably priced? I have been looking and I have not found one I would consider purchasing yet.
Sara,
I will have to look when I get home. I was trying to find it on line and just can't. I know with the shipping and cost of the swift it was less than $40. I did not but a wooden one, but the metal and plastic one. The woman at the yarn shop who wound yarn for me had the same one and it worked fine. I'm sure if you have really heavy yarns, it might not, but for what I have used up to this date, it will be fine.

pat.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #14
bubba
1st Leg of the Journey

The swift I bought is from yarnware.com and cost $38. It is the metal one. They also have the tabletop wooden one for $59. I have yet to use this one, but I did use and identical one at a yarn shop and it worked just fine.

That same website has lots of hints and tips on it too!

pat.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:47 PM   #15
happenin
1st Leg of the Journey

I sometimes dye stuff and after my process, things end up getting pretty ugly. So after a few solid days worth of time invested in learning how to "unknot," I too would like to learn a better way.

Does anyone know of a good link about winding/unwinding hanks, etc.? I've seen Amy's and I'm already improving....but I could benefit by learning even more about handling something larger than a ball.

Any/all links are appreciated! THANKS!
happenin is offline   Reply With Quote