Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
KNITBIT
1st Leg of the Journey
 
KNITBIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So. California
Posts: 196
Thanks: 14
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stockinette stitch re: counting rows
HI all,

When a pattern says "for instance" 4 more rows in stockinette stitch.....How do you count the rows??

Do you count Knit and Purl (together) as one row?

Like Below:

Row 1 Knit, Purl
Row 2 Knit, Purl
Row 3 Knit, Purl
Row 4 Knit, Purl

OR

Count the Knit and Purl seperate?

Row 1 Knit
Row 2 Purl
Row 3 Knit
Row 4 Purl

:rollseyes:

KNITBIT :XX:
KNITBIT is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-13-2005, 09:01 PM   #2
JessicaSant
1st Leg of the Journey
 
JessicaSant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: US
Posts: 129
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Re: stockinette stitch re: counting rows
You count each row of the stockinette pattern, like this:

Row 1 Knit
Row 2 Purl
Row 3 Knit
Row 4 Purl
JessicaSant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
KNITBIT
1st Leg of the Journey
 
KNITBIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So. California
Posts: 196
Thanks: 14
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

KNITBIT
KNITBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
ekgheiy
Instepping Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: In The Jungle - Stalking Frogs *evil laughter*
Posts: 2,579
Thanks: 3
Thanked 42 Times in 41 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: stockinette stitch re: counting rows
Originally Posted by JessicaSant
You count each row of the stockinette pattern, like this:

Row 1 Knit
Row 2 Purl
Row 3 Knit
Row 4 Purl
Yep, I agree

If you count like this:


Originally Posted by KNITBIT
Like Below:

Row 1 Knit, Purl
Row 2 Knit, Purl
Row 3 Knit, Purl
Row 4 Knit, Purl
...then you'd have either seed st or fisherman's rib ... depending on whether you have even or odd number of sts.
__________________
-ekgheiy

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
KNITBIT
1st Leg of the Journey
 
KNITBIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So. California
Posts: 196
Thanks: 14
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, I agree

If you count like this:

KNITBIT wrote:

Like Below:

Row 1 Knit, Purl
Row 2 Knit, Purl
Row 3 Knit, Purl
Row 4 Knit, Purl



...then you'd have either seed st or fisherman's rib ... depending on whether you have even or odd number of sts.


lol...i meant Row 1 (a whole row of Knit) then turn and a whole row of Purl ...counting those 2 as 1 row ..and so on. Row 2 (whole row of knit, then turn and a whole row of purl.

Or...

Row 1 Knit
Row 2 Purl
Row 3 Knit
etc.
I know stockinette is alternating rows, knit purl knit purl...but was confused as to when the pattern says 5 more rows of St st..if I counted the Knit Purl rows together or seperate.

Thanks again!

KNITBIT
KNITBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
ekgheiy
Instepping Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: In The Jungle - Stalking Frogs *evil laughter*
Posts: 2,579
Thanks: 3
Thanked 42 Times in 41 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by KNITBIT
Yep, I agree

If you count like this:

KNITBIT wrote:

Like Below:

Row 1 Knit, Purl
Row 2 Knit, Purl
Row 3 Knit, Purl
Row 4 Knit, Purl



...then you'd have either seed st or fisherman's rib ... depending on whether you have even or odd number of sts.


lol...i meant Row 1 (a whole row of Knit) then turn and a whole row of Purl ...counting those 2 as 1 row ..and so on. Row 2 (whole row of knit, then turn and a whole row of purl.

Or...

Row 1 Knit
Row 2 Purl
Row 3 Knit
etc.
I know stockinette is alternating rows, knit purl knit purl...but was confused as to when the pattern says 5 more rows of St st..if I counted the Knit Purl rows together or seperate.

Thanks again!

KNITBIT
__________________
-ekgheiy

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Counting rows in stockinette stitch Cherry How-to Questions 3 09-01-2009 07:14 PM
Counting stocking stitch rows samuraiknitter How-to Questions 3 04-27-2008 03:09 PM
counting garter stitch rows wannabe How-to Questions 2 02-19-2008 10:58 AM
counting rows in stockinette Kniki How-to Questions 5 11-13-2006 02:47 PM
counting rows in garter stitch?? gingerbread How-to Questions 2 08-11-2006 07:53 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 AM.