Old 03-19-2005, 01:26 AM   #1
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Keeping track of needles
my LYS printed up new business cards, and on the back there's a chart to write down what needle sizes you have... i was like GENIUS! Now I'll never forget what size needles I need! (yes this was new to me, i'm a dork, i know) So i took it a step further and made a bigger version to put with my patterns and etc so I could tell right away if I had or didn't have something. SO, I thought I'd share, just to show you all that I'm not bad all the time. Since I can't upload (the .doc extension isn't allowed) PM me your email addy if you'd like it. I even put a pretty knitty clip art picture on it :-)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-19-2005, 03:34 AM   #2
carollovesyarn
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to carollovesyarn
I pm'd you.

I also just started keeping a set of cards for projects I want to do, since I never know when I'll have the opportunity to buy yarn for these future projects. I write down the pattern name, the brand of yarn used, its gauge, yardage and composition, and colors I think I would make it in. I write these on old business cards left over from my prior jobs.

I also have cards for yarn that have no project attached to them. I have the yarn's info written on the card as well as a small amount of the yarn tied to it. I probably should keep a swatch with me since they look so different knitted up. This way if I happen to find myself in a yarn shop I can browse patterns with the yarn at hand.

Carol

In the Wings: felted clogs, socks

Recent FO: dishcloth for swap, booties for cousins babe

KALs: Grannie Smith, Monthly Dishcloths, Mason-Dixon
carollovesyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
bubba
1st Leg of the Journey

The shop I go to down in Olympia also has those business cards. I thought they were quite clever! Now I just need to mark what I have, which isn't that much since I just started this habit a couple months ago.

pat.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #4
MommaBear
Ribbing the Cuff

Re: Keeping track of needles
Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
my LYS printed up new business cards, and on the back there's a chart to write down what needle sizes you have... i was like GENIUS! Now I'll never forget what size needles I need! (yes this was new to me, i'm a dork, i know) So i took it a step further and made a bigger version to put with my patterns and etc so I could tell right away if I had or didn't have something. SO, I thought I'd share, just to show you all that I'm not bad all the time. Since I can't upload (the .doc extension isn't allowed) PM me your email addy if you'd like it. I even put a pretty knitty clip art picture on it :-)
Someone e-mailed me a chart like this a month ago! I downloaded it, but have yet to fill it in!!!
It would be nice to get it in a business card size though, so it's something you could just have with you and carry around easily so you always know! LOL!!
Especially since I am an impulse buyer. I will walk into a store to buy things for one project, all organized with list in hand. But hten I'll see a book/pattern/priject I like and want to buy al the materials for that too! LOL!!!
I need to have a list in my purse so I don't buy the same needles more than once, or even twice ... and once, 3 times! Whoops! Good thing I save receipts to retunr things LOL!
Old 03-20-2005, 12:32 AM   #5
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Yep, I thought the business cards were a good idea, too.. I found that I have 3 sets of size 4 dpns, and who knows why b/c I hate dpns! Now it's easy to consult the card in the LYS so I don't buy duplicates (or triplicates). I forgot to say this before, though: I transferred the needle chart to an overhead sheet. I keep them both in my binder, the paper one just to make sure I have everything, and on the overhead one I mark which needles are tied up in a project, or on loan to someone, or whatever... So when a pattern calls for size 10 16" circulars, I can see that yes I have them, but oops they are holding a mitten, so I can either put off the new project or buy a new pair.
Quote:
I also have cards for yarn that have no project attached to them. I have the yarn's info written on the card as well as a small amount of the yarn tied to it. I probably should keep a swatch with me since they look so different knitted up. This way if I happen to find myself in a yarn shop Laughing Laughing I can browse patterns with the yarn at hand.
I love this idea!!!! I'm going to do it too! Yay carol!
Old 03-20-2005, 03:05 AM   #6
brightspot
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to brightspot
Thank you so much for the chart. My dd & I had fun filling it out last night.
I just finished making a needle holder so now I am all organized!
Old 03-20-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
wildforyarn
Turning the Heel

Hi. I pm'd you this morning. I would love to have a chart like that. I can't keep track of what I have at all! :thinking:

wildforyarn on Ravelry

wildforyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:05 AM   #8
feministmama
Instepping Out

Just PM'd you saying ME TOO!!
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:05 AM   #9
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

yay! i love making people happy!