Old 03-24-2005, 11:29 PM   #11
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Thanks for the encouragement, Ann. I get so amazed when I read posts by various ones on here who are knitting things I only dream about, and then they mention that they've only been knitting for a few weeks or a few months.
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-25-2005, 12:28 AM   #12
Anne
Knitting the Flap

Renn, I know exactley what you mean. Knitting comes so easy for many on here.

I too see what people have knitted when they say " I HAVE ONLY BEEN KNITTING FOR A 2 MONTHS"

I can say this. I may never be a great knitter, however, i have a BEAUTIFUL FLOWER GARDEN THAT PEOPLE DROOL OVER not yet here in Michigan as its still cold. But i will very soon. :D

I look at this way. Each of us have something we do BEST.

Keep :XX: and let us know how you are doing!
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 01:14 AM   #13
MommaBear
Ribbing the Cuff

Re: Knit one, Purl one, Knit one, RIP ALL!
Originally Posted by Rennagayle

Row 1: (K1, P1) across.
Row 2: (P1, K1) across.
Rows 3-5: Repeat Rows 1 and 2 once, then repeat Row 1 once more

Okay, I understand all that, and can even manage to do it. What I CANNOT manage is keeping track of what I've done! I know to use a row counter for rows, but when each row is different, that doesn't help. I ripped this stupid thing out FOUR times last night! As I type, I am now back at zero.
I take a post-it note and write the pattern repeat and then do tick marks and x's adn checks as I finish, so in this case I would write (one on each line) 1, 2, 1, 2, 1.
The first time I do each one I might do a tick mark, the second time around I might do an X. That way I can see what row I'm on and what round I'm on.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:47 AM   #14
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

And yet another good suggestion-thanks! :D

Seriously, if I hadn't discovered this forum, I think my knitting needles would have been dropped off at the Goodwill by now!
Old 03-27-2005, 01:22 AM   #15
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

Rows and stitches, rows and stitches.

One thing I suggest to ANY knitter, if they havn't done it all ready, is to knit up a swatch and carefully examine exactly what the yarn is doing for each type of stitch.

What makes knitting knit? Why do the loops need to go in one direction, and not the other? What happens when you turn the loop around and twist a stitch?

What does a purl in the row below look like? A knit stitch? Where does the yarn want to lay naturally (front or back) when you've knit one or purled the other? If you intentionally drop a stitch, what happens? How do you get it back on the needle the way you want to? For that matter, HOW do you get it back on the needles the way you want to?

Knit a few rows in ribbing... What does it look like? How do the stitches lie? Can you tell by the shape of the stitch in the row below what the next stitch should be?

Try knitting a few rows in seed stitch... What does *that* look like? Can you tell by the stitch below what the next should be?

The reason why I say this is because if you know how knitting *works* then you can figure out a bunch about what your next stitches should be. If you know that you should be alternating K and P in a certain order, you can tell by what is happening in the row below what should happen in the row you're in.

Soooo... If you've created row one of K1, P1... when you turn the needles your first stitch should look like a K stitch on the facing side; a V instead of a bump. So you know you should P. Conversely, if you look and you see a V, a bump, a V, a bump (the first stitches of Rows one and two as stated in the pattern) then you should do one more Row 1... Then on with the pattern.

Knowing why knitting does what it does is the most telling and informative road map to what to do next...

Good luck knitting!
yellowness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #16
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

I know that you're right, Yellowness. I think I let my impatience to knit keep me from taking the time to do that. For years, I tried crocheting at different times, but could only ever do it as long as I had a teacher (usually my mom) sitting next to me. Once off alone, when I'd hit a snag, I could never figure out what to do on my own.

Then, along came my sis-in-law who taught me to crochet torn rag strips into rag rugs using a Q hook. For the first time in my life, I finally "got" crocheting. Using a really big needle and having those huge size stitches enabled me to "see" what the stitches looked like and how they were supposed to connect. I still struggle with reading patterns, as I seem to have a mental block at figuring out what they're ever saying to do, but as to how the stitches are supposed to look, I now know!

Along those same lines, as you suggested, I need to learn what my knit stitches are supposed to look like. I think I'll work on a sample swatch using my 15 needles. That should make the stitches large enough that I can see what's going on.

Thanks for the suggestion. :D
Old 03-29-2005, 02:48 AM   #17
yellowness
1st Leg of the Journey

I just hope it helps :) I think it's one of the most valuable things to learn... Knowing what the heck I'm *actually* doing (as opposed to just blindly following a pattern with crossed fingers and faith), or at least being able to sit and figure it out given enough head scratching has been so incredibly useful to me.

Best of luck!
yellowness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:21 AM   #18
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Yes, there's much to be said for the effectiveness of 'head scratching'!