Old 04-05-2005, 12:09 AM   #1
mascarasnake
1st Leg of the Journey

Fair Isle In the Round pattern jogs
Hello again everyone!
I finished my first Fair Isle project--one legwarmer! However, before I do the second legwarmer, I wondered if anyone knew of any way to make a pattern continue when working in the round. I understand that the nature of working in the round is a sort of spiral, but I wonder if there is a trick to make the pattern even all the way around. A picture is attached to clarify. Thanks--you all rock!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	legwarmers_001.jpg
Views:	1647
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	19947  

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-05-2005, 01:16 AM   #2
brookenic
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to brookenic Send a message via Yahoo to brookenic
I'm sorry I have no answer for you. I just wanted to say that the legwarmers look great Nice work, most people may not even notice. ~Brooke
brookenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:05 AM   #3
eggplant
Ribbing the Cuff

I have recently been trying to work around the same problem (but with simple stripes, not Fair Isle). Doing a google search for "jogless stripes" and "jogless jog" will give you several options.

I'm not 100% satisfied with the solution I tried (the one attributed to Meg Swanson), but perhaps I just need more practice!

Nice legwarmer, by the way!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I don't know that you CAN do fair isle int he round... because you're not knitting a round on top of a round on top of a round, you're knitting a spiral... I haven't had too much experience with fair isle, but the few round pieces I have done I knitted flat and seamed.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I got the same result when I knit my DK hat, but it wasn't so noticeable because it's just 2 stripes of 2 rows each.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:00 PM   #6
mascarasnake
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for the compliments, brookenic and eggplant! The yarn was really yummy to work with...I kept sniffing the wool. Bartlett, baby...

And thanks to the rest of you for sharing. Glad to know I wasn't missing something obvious!
mascarasnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:28 AM   #7
eggplant
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Hildegard_von_Knittin
I don't know that you CAN do fair isle int he round... because you're not knitting a round on top of a round on top of a round, you're knitting a spiral... I haven't had too much experience with fair isle, but the few round pieces I have done I knitted flat and seamed.
I thought the multicolor Norwegian sweaters were knit in the round, then the armholes steeked -- but then I guess they would probably put their jog where the steek was to be cut, and they could essentially say goodbye to the jog that way.

----
OK, I just checked a handknit Norwegian sweater from the closet. The sleeves are knit in the round, and they definitely have a jog, and the knitter didn't do any fancy picking up of other rows to hide it. On the other hand, the decreases are also done along the jog line, so the landscape is somewhat complicated. Not to mention that the part that has the multicolor pattern jogs is positioned under the arm, where it is unlikely to be noticed. And the sweater appears to have been knit on size 6 or 7 needles, so the jog itself is smaller than a jog knit on larger needles.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:22 AM   #8
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

There are a few options out there, and I haven't put them all into practice. But I have tried what I believe is considered the classic solution: Meg's Jogless Jog. I use this and like it; it definitely is a big improvement.

Nice legwarmers Mascara!!!
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:08 AM   #9
eggplant
Ribbing the Cuff

Amy, THANK YOU for posting that link!! Of all the links I googled, I somehow missed that one. Now I understand why I wasn't completely happy with the way my jogless jog turned out.

The directions I used were pretty simplified and somehow when I read "when you get to the beginning of the round, pick up the stitch in the row below with the left needle", I literally used the left needle to pick up a stitch. The result was an M1 which I then knit together with the first stitch of the new row. It worked, kind of, but the Meg jogless jog pictured in the link you posted is so much smoother and better. :D