Old 04-16-2005, 03:11 AM   #1
trouper
Casting On

At a loss
HELP...I'm making a purse for an auction and have reached a point where the instructions make no sense to me (I took the pattern to a local yarn/weaving store and they were equally puzzled which made me feel better but didn't help much!). Here are the directions for making the handles: on one side you make a 15 Inch I-cord, for the other side of the handle the instructions say to make about 2 inches of I-cord, leave the stitches on the needle and weave the two I-cords together. I am totally puzzled as to how to do this. I really don't care at this point if the answer is so obvious that I should be embarassed not to have figured it out....I just want to finish the blasted thing!

Nancy
trouper is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-16-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
JessicaSant
1st Leg of the Journey

If you have stitches on a needle from both ends of the i-cord, could you use a three-needle bind off to join them together? Amy has a video on the bottom of her bind-off videos page.

There's also the Kitchener stitch on the bottom of the advanced techniques page.

hopefully one of those will work!!
JessicaSant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:03 PM   #3
trouper
Casting On

Actually, the longer of the two I-cords has been bound off and has a 12" tail. Only one needle (on the 2 inch cord) has stitches still on the needle. I was thinking that I could somehow knit the two together using the active yarn on the short side and the tail from the bound off side...Does this semm workable?
Old 04-16-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
metalsgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

I just made this purse - I too was puzzled, what I ended up doing was not binding off the longer end like they said to and instead did a three needle bind off (my first) - I am in the middle of the felting process now and it does not appear to be too noticeable (and I also figure that it has got to be stronger than just randomly "weaving" in ends)
metalsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
metalsgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

I just made this purse - I too was puzzled, what I ended up doing was not binding off the longer end like they said to and instead did a three needle bind off (my first) - I am in the middle of the felting process now and it does not appear to be too noticeable (and I also figure that it has got to be stronger than just randomly "weaving" in ends)
metalsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:53 PM   #6
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Ha, I see this I cord thing is just as puzzling as I first suspected!

Well, I will be very interested to know what you did. I'm in the middle of kntting my first I cord directly attached to the bag but I haven't been working with a pattern. I thought I'd just keep going til it's long enough then somehow attach it on the other side. Like figure it out when I get there. So, this is interesting....

Did you figure it out yet? It sometimes help to go to KNitting Pattern Central and look at a lot of bags and what they did....

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
trouper
Casting On

THANK YOU TO BOTH OF YOU WHO RESPONDED,ICAN'T BELIEVE THAT I WAS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO FIND SOMEONE WHO HAD MADE THE SAME BAG. I WILL TRY THE 3-NEEDLE BIND-OFF AND PRAY IT WORKS! ALSO, VERY GLAD FOR THE REFERENCE TO KNITTINGPATTERNS CENTRAL.
I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.