Old 04-23-2005, 06:40 PM   #1
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
M1L and M1R Confusion
I just bought yarn to make this sweater, and the description for M1L and M1R in the pattern section of the pattern seem quite different from what Amy is showing in the video here.

If I do it the way Amy shows it, am I going to essentially end up with the same type of stitch???

Thanks so much! I'm really nervous to start this, but also very excited. My first sweater!

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
DotMom61 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-23-2005, 10:41 PM   #2
LauraT
Ribbing the Cuff

Cute sweater. Will you be using the Cotton Ease? I've been wanting to make something with that yarn.

Anyway, the directions and video Amy provides are correct. I see no discrepancy between the directions on your pattern and the method she demonstrates in the video.

Laura
LauraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:56 PM   #3
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to DotMom61 Send a message via MSN to DotMom61 Send a message via Yahoo to DotMom61
Thanks, Laura. It just seemed different to me for some reason; perhaps it will make more sense once I work through the pattern instructions once.

And, yes, I am using Cotton-Ease, but I'm using Oreangeade instead of Banana Cream.

I just about couldn't get out of Jo-Ann's today -- they had so many neat new yarns, and then I discovered that they actually started stocking some *real* wool! I guess they've had enough people ask about it, that they decided it would be worth their effort. So, I picked up a skein to try some felting, too.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. | Albert Einstein
Old 04-24-2005, 10:14 PM   #4
LauraT
Ribbing the Cuff

Sure - it's always easy to figure out when it's someone else's project!

Real wool at Jo-Anne's? What a concept! Mine only has acrylic in every color and texture imaginable. Some kitchen cotton, but that's it! Lucky you. Our local Hobby Lobby has nice yarns, though and Hancock's has LOTS of Lion Brand.

I'm crocheting a top right now using their Microfiber Acrylic. It's the first time I've used it and I must say it's working up very nicely. No "fuzzing" like you get with acrylic.

Well, good luck with your sweater! Looks like a challenging project, but then we need to stretch ourselves every so often, right?

Laura
LauraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
DotMom61
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by LauraT
Sure - it's always easy to figure out when it's someone else's project!
Well, maybe for *some*of us! (Myself *not* included in that group!)

Real wool at Jo-Anne's? What a concept! Mine only has acrylic in every color and texture imaginable. Some kitchen cotton, but that's it! Lucky you. Our local Hobby Lobby has nice yarns, though and Hancock's has LOTS of Lion Brand.
Yes, I was rather surprised myself. I really think the knitting craze has hit hard here in the western suburbs of Chicago, and they just had to meet demand. As for the cotton: I can't believe how addictive dish clothes have become for me! When I did my first one, I was basically doing it to just learn how to do a certain stitch, but after I washed it up and saw how nicely it turned out, I was hooked! I'm thinking a set of placemats for our new kitchen table might be nice, too.

I'm crocheting a top right now using their Microfiber Acrylic. It's the first time I've used it and I must say it's working up very nicely. No "fuzzing" like you get with acrylic.
I love the feel of the microfiber! I almost bought some of that for this sweater I'm making instead of the cotton, but since I've never done anything like this before, I decided I should probably stick with the plan. :-)

Well, good luck with your sweater! Looks like a challenging project, but then we need to stretch ourselves every so often, right?
Thanks ... it's definitely going to be a stretch, and hopefully not a waste of perfectly good yarn. <sigh> I tried to start it last night, but was having a hard time getting started with the Intarsia joins. You cast on the side color, then the main, then the side again, and when it came time to join the two colors together, my stitches got all stretched out and messy. Plus, I somehow managed to increase a stitch somewhere. I still can't figure out how that happened unless perhaps I stitched into one of the purls in the wrong place. Of course, it was after midnight, and that might also have had something to do with it.