Old 05-31-2005, 09:49 AM   #11
foothills
Turning the Heel

Tell me about it...I had this problem with the hat...using exactly what the pattern called for as far as yarn and needles...can't figure it out...could it be the Denise cables?
foothills is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-31-2005, 11:29 AM   #12
Mer
Working the Gusset

Wow--I don't think it should have anything to do with the cables, since you're measuring them. It could just be the yarn substitution. It looks like yours may come out a little smaller than the pattern.
Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:20 PM   #13
Fernwood
Ribbing the Cuff

Some types of cast-on are less stretchy than the rest of the knitting, so the work might stretch around the 20+ inches of circular after you get through a row or two. But it certainly looks as though you don't need so long a circular for the number of stitches you are starting with. Are there increases yet to come? When you did the hats, was your cast-on edge much tighter than the rest of the fabric? If so, did it cause any problem? If you used a cast-on that makes a relatively tight edge, you may find that switching to a stretchier one will produce results more consistent with the pattern.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:47 PM   #14
foothills
Turning the Heel

This particular bag pattern begins at the top of the bag with 10 rounds in garter stitch...then of course, decreases and increases. Someone suggested that I use a 16" rather than a 24", so I may try that unless someone gives me a more brilliant idea! I've just tried the 68 stitches on the 16" and it still stretches the yarn some...tolerable, but still not right so perhaps I should try to cast on with a less tight stitch?

I knitted the hat with Yukon yarn and the pattern called for Yukon and 16" circulars...I had to use a shorter cable, but can't remember the length I used...just know it wouldn't fit on the 16".
Old 05-31-2005, 11:57 PM   #15
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

it *could* be a misprint in the pattern; no matter how much the editors try to find mistakes before printing, there's gare-un-tee that those smarty pantsies get them all. (when things go wrong i ALWAYS assume it's the pattern and not me :D ) Does the guage work out? For instance, if the hat is supposed to measure 8 inches around, will the number of CO stitches really work out to be that measurement?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:30 AM   #16
foothills
Turning the Heel

According to the book intro, gauge isn't important with any of the handbags included in the book...so, I haven't attempted to determine the gauge. Jodi did a bubble bag using a similar pattern on Addi's and said she had a slight problem initially with joining, but it worked itself out. She also used Cascade 220 and Noro together, so you would think that using one strand of Cascade Pastaza, there shouldn't be an issue! Of course...it's the pattern
Old 06-02-2005, 04:04 PM   #17
foothills
Turning the Heel

I received help on this one from a lady in town who teaches knitting and she said that using the size 13 24" needles would be tight, but would work out and so far, it's working...although those first two rounds were not easy :rollseyes: I also told her about our favorite website, so maybe we'll get a few more brilliant people soon

As always...thanks for your help everyone!

Joyce