Old 07-03-2005, 10:18 PM   #1
AKchick
1st Leg of the Journey

Beginner needing help correcting a mistake
Hello, this is my first post and I have flubbed my pattern up and need some help to correct it. I am working on a sweater pattern and believe I messed up when I hit the neck shaping. The directions are as follows:

Neck shaping: 1st row: (RS). K2. Sl 1. K1. psso. K13. K2tog. Turn. Leave rem sts on a spare needle. 2nd row: P2tog. Purl to end of row. 3rd row: K2. Sl 1. K1. psso. Knit to last 2 sts. K2tog. 4th row: As 2nd row. Rep last 2 rows 2 times more. 7 sts.

Next row: (RS). Sl 1. K1. psso. Knit to last 2 sts. K2tog. Next row: Purl to last 2 sts. P2togtbl. 4 sts.

Next row: (RS). Sl 1. K1. psso. K2. Next row: P1. P2togtbl. 2 sts.

All sizes: Next row: Sl 1. K1. psso. Fasten off. With RS of work facing, slip next 12 sts onto st holder and proceed as follows: 1st row: Sl 1. K1. psso. Knit to last 4 sts. K2tog. K2. 2nd row: Purl to last 2 sts. P2togtbl. Rep last rows 3 times more. 7 sts.

Okay, so my problem is that I did the first part of the neck shaping up to All sizes: Next row. When I was getting ready to start that side of the neck I was first confused because I didn't know if I was supposed to be working on the sts I had put on the stitch holder (extra needle) or the rest, but I was able to find someone who showed me I was supposed to have 19 sts for each side of the neck and 12 that would be the middle of the neckline. Once she brought that to my attention though I realized I made some sort of mistake and I need to rip out the one side of the neckline I had finished already because I didn't use the right number of sts for the first side of the neckline. So anyway, my problem is, that thinking I was doing it all correctly I already finished and fastened off the first side and cut the yarn, so how do I go about ripping it all back out and making sure I put my needles in correctly? I don't have anyone I can see personally about this so they can show me so hopefully someone on here can guide me in the right direction or explain it themselves.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer! I really appreciate it!

Desiree
AKchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-03-2005, 10:26 PM   #2
amp926
1st Leg of the Journey

I wish I could be of more help, but I am not very experienced myself. Whenever I run into a problem, I immediatly run to the computer and check out Amy's videos. Try clicking on the Basic Techniques tab at the top of the page, then click on the "...and more" link near the right of the sceen. She has a whole section of videos on fixing mistakes. Hopefully one of those will help, if not, I'm sure one of the more experienced knitters will be more than willing to help!

Goodluck!
amp926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
So what I understand here is that you just want to take out the other side. Right?

You can take out what you bound off and rip it down to where you want it. You can just get down to the loops and pick them up, and with only 19 it shouldn't be too hard to do that. Don't worry how you get them on the needles when you first pick them up. You can turn them around once they're on the needles by slipping them from one to the other so they are on correctly.

Come to think of it, there are videos above on correcting mistakes that you might want to look at first, especially if you're nervous about taking out the stitches.

Good luck.
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:02 AM   #4
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I agree with Ingrid: it's easiest just to frog back to your mistake, and try again. Here is a link to Amy's video on re-inserting your needle into a destination row before ripping; this prevents the problem of dropping stitches as you frog. Good luck!
Old 07-04-2005, 07:18 AM   #5
AKchick
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks for the help everyone! After I posted on here I went to bed and decided I might as well treat it like ripping off a bandaid and get it over with so I ripped out the stitches and adjusted all my numbers so the stitches were correct and I am back on track now. I was able to finish the whole neck area last night and was so happy with myself for just taking care of the problem. I usually will just put a project away if I mess up and it seems to confusing for me to fix and then never touch it again, but it helps that this is for my mom, I don't want to put it away because I am so excited to be able to give her something homemade for Christmas.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!
Desiree
AKchick is offline   Reply With Quote