Old 02-10-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
annie2
Casting On

figure 8 cast-on help
have the general idea of this figure 8 cast on ..but..need some technique help as to: how to hold the two needles while knitting the stitches..will use this for toe of sock...thanks, annie
annie2 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-10-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Re: figure 8 cast-on help
Originally Posted by annie2
have the general idea of this figure 8 cast on ..but..need some technique help as to: how to hold the two needles while knitting the stitches..will use this for toe of sock...thanks, annie
Figure 8 cast on :?: What's that?

Here's what I do to hold the needles while knitting the stitch...
Quoted from my post at the TKGA Message Board

Originally Posted by ekgheiy (from tkga board)
Here's what I do:
First, I do have a somewhat elaborate way of holding the yarn. I wrap the yarn around my pinky (sp?) once, drape over my ring finger, then under my middle finger, the over my index (closer to the nail part). My pinky holds the needle and keeps the yarn tension: If I need less slack, I'll squish my pinky against my ring finger; If I need more slack, I'll move my pinky away from my ring finger. My ring finger holds the right needle, but it also helps with yarn tension by being a wall for my pinky ... but I guess that's an indirect usage? Hmmm... My middle finger holds the needle. If the pattern requires more maneuvering (ssk, for example), my middle finger helps my index. My index finger wraps the yarn around the right needle. My thumb holds the right needle and keeps the stitches from falling off of the needle too

Basically, like Emmasmom, my thumb and ring finger do not leave the needle, but my middle finger sometimes will. And my pinky doesn't really let go of the needle per se; if/when it moves, it does so parallel to and in contact with the needle.

The only active finger on my left hand is my index. It keeps the stitches from falling off the needle. All the others hold the needle.
Hope that helps or at least gives you some ideas :?

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
salsa
1st Leg of the Journey

The "figure 8 cast-on" instructions that I've seen on the net (eg here: http://home.earthlink.net/~jeffnstasia/sox2.htm) look exactly the same as what I've also seen called a "provisional cast-on". Maybe someone will set me straight, but I believe they're the same in effect.

Amy has a video for doing a provisional cast-on:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...ques/index.php (second video from the end)

This is what I use for toe-up socks and it works a treat. I hope Amy's video helps you...
salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
LauraT
Ribbing the Cuff

This site has nice illustrations describing the method in question.

http://www.theyarnco.com/cast_on.php

I use this method. It gives a nice, elastic edge. I also cast onto BOTH needles simultaneously; it's easier to work the first row of stitches. Stack one vertically on top of the other.

Laura
LauraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
mmhouse04
Casting On

Re: figure 8 cast-on help
Originally Posted by annie2
mmhouse04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
MaryS
Turning the Heel

FIGURE 8 CAST ON
From the yarnco site it looks like figure 8 caston is our old favorite - long tail cast on (it's MY favorite). This makes sense because your needle moves in a figure eight as you make each stitch. Amy has a great video of this in the basis techniques section.

HAPPY CASTING ON!!

Mary
MaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
If you're talking about a provisional cast-on--the yarn moves in a figure eight for that one, too, I don't recall any special needle holding technique. You hold the yarn like you do for long-tail in your left hand and hold the 'waste' yarn against the needle with your right.

If that's too confusing ( I hate it) you can crochet a chain and cast on to that. When you're ready to weave the stitches together, you take out the chain.
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 04:23 PM   #8
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
I'm not sure if I do it totally right, but I have been using figure 8 cast on for toe up baby socks. I basically just wrap the yarn figure 8 style around/between the 2 needles than then start knitting. Using number 2 needles, I did find it rather difficult to get started. Once you get the first time around knitted though, it is much easier. I'm not sure there is an *easy* way to hold it in the beginning...especially when you are using really small needles!
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote