Old 07-17-2005, 11:35 PM   #1
Chinamom
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to Chinamom
bizarro pattern help please!!!!!
just found this forum, where have I been!! I'm doung a felted wine cosy, well at least I'm trying to. I am stuck and I'm so close to being finished this project. okay I'm knitting in the round, and here's where I'm stuck:

Being BO in 5 stitch I cord up to the first marker (this is making the handles at the top of the thing). Stop BO and knit 8 more rows of I cord (do not Bo any stitches on left needle at this time). slip marker and resume Bo on stitches on left hand needle in 5 st. I cord up to second marker. stop BO, knit 8 rows of I cord, slip marker and continue with I cord BO to end of round.

Okay I know how to do I cord. and I think I did this whole thing or something similar a long time ago, but for some reason I can't wrap my brain around thsi AT ALL and I'm VERY FRUSTRATED!!!!!! LOL

if anyone can explain this to me like I'm 3 years old, so I can actually do it, I'd be eternally grateful. thanks!!!!!! :thinking: oh, I'm attaching a picture of hte pattern that I scanned, so you can see what it's supposed to look like.

Sandy
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	wine_cozy.jpg
Views:	1098
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	20463  
Chinamom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-17-2005, 11:47 PM   #2
Marnie
1st Leg of the Journey

Re: bizarro pattern help please!!!!!
Originally Posted by Chinamom
Being BO in 5 stitch I cord up to the first marker (this is making the handles at the top of the thing). Stop BO and knit 8 more rows of I cord (do not Bo any stitches on left needle at this time). slip marker and resume Bo on stitches on left hand needle in 5 st. I cord up to second marker. stop BO, knit 8 rows of I cord, slip marker and continue with I cord BO to end of round.
Ok, to knit a 5 stitch i-cord, you need 5 stitches on a double pointed needle.
You knit all stitches from right to left. They are now on your right hand needle. Without turning your needle, switch it to the other hand, push all the stitches to the right and begin knitting again.

To work a 5 stitch i-cord bind off, you do the same thing but on the last stitch you knit the remaining stitch with the first stitch of the piece you are binding off.

So in your pattern, you will cast on 5 stitches onto a DPN. With a second DPN, knit the first 4 stitches. Then knit the 5th stitch together with one stitch of the piece you are binding off. You still have 5 stitches on your needle. Push them all to the right end of the DPN and repeat the process to the stitch marker indicated in your pattern.
Then work 8 rows of the i-cord without doing the bind off and pick up where the pattern says to.

Hope this helps.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:06 AM   #3
Chinamom
Casting On

Originally Posted by Marnie
Ok, to knit a 5 stitch i-cord, you need 5 stitches on a double pointed needle.
You knit all stitches from right to left. They are now on your right hand needle. Without turning your needle, switch it to the other hand, push all the stitches to the right and begin knitting again.

To work a 5 stitch i-cord bind off, you do the same thing but on the last stitch you knit the remaining stitch with the first stitch of the piece you are binding off.

So in your pattern, you will cast on 5 stitches onto a DPN. With a second DPN, knit the first 4 stitches. Then knit the 5th stitch together with one stitch of the piece you are binding off. You still have 5 stitches on your needle. Push them all to the right end of the DPN and repeat the process to the stitch marker indicated in your pattern.
Then work 8 rows of the i-cord without doing the bind off and pick up where the pattern says to.

Hope this helps.
okay, I get how to do I cord, but for this part of this pattern, I don't know where to get the stitches that go on the dp needle to start the I cord.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:44 AM   #4
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
the next 5 stitches after the BO part (transfer to DPN)? Does that seem like it would make sense? The pattern wording could be a little clearer
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:17 AM   #5
Marnie
1st Leg of the Journey

[quote="Chinamom"][quote="Marnie"]
Being BO in 5 stitch okay, I get how to do I cord, but for this part of this pattern, I don't know where to get the stitches that go on the dp needle to start the I cord.
Generally, you cast on those stitches.
I suggest you use either the knitted on or cable cast on. You can see the technique in the CO area of this site:
http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/bas...ques/index.php
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:51 AM   #6
Chinamom
Casting On

[quote="Marnie"][quote="Chinamom"]
Originally Posted by Marnie
Being BO in 5 stitch okay, I get how to do I cord, but for this part of this pattern, I don't know where to get the stitches that go on the dp needle to start the I cord.
Generally, you cast on those stitches.
I suggest you use either the knitted on or cable cast on. You can see the technique in the CO area of this site:
http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/bas...ques/index.php
so that would be using the working yarn? I wish the wording was clearer, like another person said!! I may have to take a ride to the shop where I got the pattern, maybe she can help me. thanks for your help, I'll see if this works.

Sandy :XX: