Old 08-01-2005, 10:07 AM   #1
kp
Casting On

knitting afghan on circ.-wrong side!
I am new to knitting and am knitting an afghan on circular needles (which I have used before). I have had to start over twice because I am somehow knitting on the wrong side at times. I start out knitting on the right side, but them somehow I am changing to the wrong side. I am knitting back and forth, not in the round. How can I correct this problem and is there a trick to prevent it from happening again?

Thank you!
kp is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-01-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
When you are knitting back and forth, first you work the right side and then you work the wrong side. The only reasons for putting an afghan on circs in this case would be because of the length.

Do you find that you are working the right-side stitches on the wrong side rows? Just keep track by remembering that the odd number rows are always on the same side (usually 'front or right side) and the even number rows are always on the wrong side (usually 'back or wrong side).

Either a stitch counter or just paper and pencil can help you keep track.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
kp
Casting On

I don't mean to sound really ignornant (which I am!), but on row 3 of my pattern, it says right side, but does not instruct right side or wrong side on any other row. Is the "every other right side/wrong side" just something that experienced knitters already know or should the pattern state this? I'm still a little confused.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
Silver
Instepping Out

If row 3 is the right side, all subsequent odd numbered rows will also be on the right side, and likewise, even numbered rows will be the wrong side.

It's a little confusing for a beginner, but with more experience, yes, you learn which is the right side and which is the wrong side.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #5
kp
Casting On

Thank you for you prompt reply. I'll try again!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:56 PM   #6
cmk
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi KP,

Until it's really obvious which is the right side, you may want to put something (I use a safety pin or yarn) on the right side.

Carolyn
cmk is offline   Reply With Quote