Old 08-02-2005, 01:30 AM   #1
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

ACRYLIC??!!!
Uh oh!! I thought the yarn I got from eBay was wool, and it isn't!! It's 100% acrylic.....and I like the tweedy color and everything. it's DK, and for some reason I thought I was ordering 100% wool. Alas, I was NOT. :rollseyes: I got 300 grams of this stuff for about 12 bucks, and I really like the texture and all that, but a question:
I've knitted one sock with it already. How comfortable are acrylic socks, ya'll?? I feel so stupid...not like I was conned or anything; I guess I just assumed that it was wool. It didn't say it was acrylic either, though!!

Should I use it for something else other than socks--will they be too hot, or not absorb moisture ??I've always heard wool blends were better for socks because of the wicking thing. Now I've got this lovely sock with everything done but the toe, and I just found out it isn't wool!! SHould I frog it--or not?? :XX:

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-02-2005, 07:49 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I would forge ahead. Wool is good for socks because if they get wet they still retain warmth. I don't know if this applies to acrylic yarn specifically, but most athletic socks are made of man-made fibers because cotton retains the moisture.

There are sock experts out there that I'm sure have more personal knowledge, but it seems a shame to frog.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
franna724
Ribbing the Cuff

I've never used 100 percent acrylic for socks. I've heard Wool-Ease (wool/acrylic blend) is okay, but not the best. I've heard that acrylic does not absorb any moisture and that they are hot and make feet sweat.

However, if it was me and I liked the yarn and I had already finished one sock, I'd just keep going. But that's just me.

Anna
Old 08-02-2005, 09:57 AM   #4
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
You could always wear them around the house as slipper socks if they won't absord well enough to wear with shoes. Or how about making it into a (small...maybe for a pet??) Christmas stocking?

There's always but I hate the idea of all that work going to waste!
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:41 PM   #5
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

Yeah..I really do like the way it looks--and I finally made a sock with no recognizable mistakes!! So in think I will make the other one and just wear it around the house. Then I can admire the yarn AND the fact that I knitted them myself!! :XX:

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote